Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on June 07, 2015, 04:55:10 pm

Title: An Eastern Kingbird Scolds a Great Blue Heron While a Dragonfly Looks On
Post by: Chris Calohan on June 07, 2015, 04:55:10 pm
Actually, Eric, the Herons were up, but a little farther north.It was one of the best birding days I've had in quite some time. This one is one of my new favorites. I was shooting for the two birds. The dragonfly was just a little seredipity.

(Shot from a moving boat.)
Title: Re: An Eastern Kingbird Scolds a Great Blue Heron While a Dragonfly Looks On
Post by: thierrylegros396 on June 08, 2015, 06:42:37 am
Wow, so different from here !

Thierry
Title: Re: An Eastern Kingbird Scolds a Great Blue Heron While a Dragonfly Looks On
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 08, 2015, 08:35:20 am
Love the image, Chris. But I can't find the dragonfly.   :(
Where should I look?
Title: Re: An Eastern Kingbird Scolds a Great Blue Heron While a Dragonfly Looks On
Post by: NancyP on June 08, 2015, 02:05:18 pm
Near the water, below the kingbird. I had to squint a bit before I saw that dragonfly.
Lovely shot - and I have to love the nagging kingbird.
Title: Re: An Eastern Kingbird Scolds a Great Blue Heron While a Dragonfly Looks On
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 08, 2015, 02:11:45 pm
... I can't find the dragonfly.   :(
Where should I look?

Here:
Title: Re: An Eastern Kingbird Scolds a Great Blue Heron While a Dragonfly Looks On
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 08, 2015, 08:58:24 pm
Here:
Thanks!
You've got sharp eyes, Slobodan.
Title: Re: An Eastern Kingbird Scolds a Great Blue Heron While a Dragonfly Looks On
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 08, 2015, 09:11:05 pm
There is one thing that bothers me, though: the smaller bird appears to be further behind, relative to the heron, approximately at the same plane of focus as those big, moss-covered trees. And yet, the trees are out of focus and the bird not!?
Title: Re: An Eastern Kingbird Scolds a Great Blue Heron While a Dragonfly Looks On
Post by: Chris Calohan on June 09, 2015, 12:15:48 am
Honestly, Slobodan, i was a bit taken aback when I saw the image wondering the same thing. The data says I shot it at 7:58am, f:/10 @1/1250 Shutter priority at 640 ISO. I did shoot it from a moving boat which I think tosses the perspective thing right out the door but if you look closely, they are all three pretty much aligned but because of the scale of all three significantly different in size, the Heron, the largest appears closer than the King Bird, but I think more so because of the size differential. The dragonfly, as I stated was pure serendipity falling in the same alignment.
Title: Re: An Eastern Kingbird Scolds a Great Blue Heron While a Dragonfly Looks On
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 09, 2015, 02:14:45 am
Perhaps this can help explain it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNbF006Y5x4
Title: Re: An Eastern Kingbird Scolds a Great Blue Heron While a Dragonfly Looks On
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 09, 2015, 08:02:20 am
Perhaps this can help explain it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNbF006Y5x4
Excellent!
Title: Re: An Eastern Kingbird Scolds a Great Blue Heron While a Dragonfly Looks On
Post by: Chris Calohan on June 09, 2015, 08:15:01 am
Yup, that would about do it!
Title: Re: An Eastern Kingbird Scolds a Great Blue Heron While a Dragonfly Looks On
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 09, 2015, 12:44:22 pm
Perhaps this can help explain it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNbF006Y5x4

Fun! Thanks for that.

Chris, it looks a very beautiful place.

Jeremy