Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on June 05, 2015, 08:32:28 am

Title: Scaleber Force
Post by: KMRennie on June 05, 2015, 08:32:28 am
A day out in North Yorkshire to take sunsets on the Coast. On the way stopped at this well known spot to take some shots. Unfortunately the sun was out but I tried to make the best of it. I can't get the colour balance of the 2nd top fall, in the shade, correct but no amount of colour balance, colour temperature or hue saturation makes it look correct to my eyes. A 4 shot bracketed composite to try and keep the contrast under control. A place to return to in the Autumn on a cloudy day.
Ken
Title: Re: Scaleber Force
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 05, 2015, 09:01:37 am
Nice flow on the water. Indeed a place to go back to.
Title: Re: Scaleber Force
Post by: francois on June 05, 2015, 10:20:55 am
A really good framing… The flow goes throughout the frame and the result is exquisite.
Title: Re: Scaleber Force
Post by: polaris-14 on June 05, 2015, 12:30:34 pm
Love the composition. There is a smooth leading line all throughout. The color balance doesn't bother me too much.
Title: Re: Scaleber Force
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 05, 2015, 01:10:20 pm
... no amount of colour balance, colour temperature or hue saturation makes it look correct to my eyes...

Highly doubtful... but how about making it at least less strange to our eyes?  ;)
Title: Re: Scaleber Force
Post by: maddogmurph on June 05, 2015, 01:49:56 pm
I need to learn this work flow myself... I have all these shots where I need to blend proper exposures to get a picture that's completely properly exposed, do you have any resources or can you point me to any tutorials/photoshop technique videos that do this work flow in a clear / informative fashion?
Title: Re: Scaleber Force
Post by: luxborealis on June 05, 2015, 06:55:57 pm
Agree with the above on composition. But...

Return on an overcast day! There are so many beautiful textures and hues of green that are lost in this contrasty scene. I understand that "it's the way it was" (and to get a sunny day in Yorkshire is certainly a bonus!), but I think there is more potential in this scene if shot on a bright, overcast day (meaning, don't wait for autumn!)
Title: Re: Scaleber Force
Post by: thierrylegros396 on June 06, 2015, 01:13:04 pm
A place to return to in the Autumn on a cloudy day.
Ken

+1

Thierry
Title: Re: Scaleber Force
Post by: KMRennie on June 07, 2015, 10:55:23 am
A mono version from a few yards downstream. The sun had dimmed a bit in this shot. Just added the first shot taken. The sun was also hidden behind a cloud. I prefer the composition of the first posted colour shot but I was able to get this colour shot in one exposure.
Title: Re: Scaleber Force
Post by: Cartagenaphoto on June 07, 2015, 04:52:39 pm
I think you did a great job ;-)
Title: Re: Scaleber Force
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 08, 2015, 05:02:56 pm
A mono version from a few yards downstream.

I like this very much. I see the falls are only a couple of hours from where I live: I'm inspired and I hope I can do half as well.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Scaleber Force
Post by: stamper on June 09, 2015, 03:50:10 am
I am a sucker for this kind of image. The first one is splendid and preferable to the second. You have done the best you can under the circumstances and you should be pleased. As to "perfect" colour balance you could try all day long and still not get it. Settle for "pleasing". Only you know what the original scene looked like.