Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: David Anderson on June 04, 2015, 07:00:25 pm

Title: Free Nikon ?
Post by: David Anderson on June 04, 2015, 07:00:25 pm
This seems a bad idea to me in a market where photos struggle to maintain any value.
The Nikon 'I am generation image' promotion where a well known photographer shoots wedding photos for free ?
Am I missing something ?
Maybe the promo should be called ' I am generation free only image' ?
How about free cameras Nikon so it doesn't cost any money to make free images ?  ;)

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-nikon-wedding-truck-studio-rolls-into-new-york-city-with-world-renowned-photographer-joe-mcnally-at-the-wheel-300089409.html (http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/the-nikon-wedding-truck-studio-rolls-into-new-york-city-with-world-renowned-photographer-joe-mcnally-at-the-wheel-300089409.html)




Title: Re: Free Nikon ?
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 04, 2015, 07:12:58 pm
I'm tempted to start a rumor that McNally uses a Canon for backup.   ;)

I bet Nikon is providing him not only with free Nikons but a lot of cash as well.
Title: Re: Free Nikon ?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on June 04, 2015, 07:14:58 pm
Free apps to sell hardware, free search to sell ads, free pictures to sell cameras... blame Apple and Google, they invented the land of the free. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Free Nikon ?
Post by: Isaac on June 04, 2015, 07:51:21 pm
This seems a bad idea to me in a market where photos struggle to maintain any value.

Seems to me that you could choose to present this as -- All couples want an excellent photographer to take "the highest quality images as wedding-day keepsakes" and a few very lucky couples are going to be given that opportunity courtesy of Nikon.


… blame Apple and Google, they invented the land of the free.

Nonsense.
Title: Re: Free Nikon ?
Post by: jjj on June 04, 2015, 10:09:58 pm
I bet Nikon is providing him not only with free Nikons but a lot of cash as well.
I quite liked McNally's writing and photography until the tedious Nikon bias that now seeps through it. It would be the same regardless of brand, by the way.
I read a book of his about lighting, except it was really about lighting with Nikon gear. He said lots of things in the book that were simply incorrect if using other brands and the book felt like a Nikon brochure, but pretended to be otherwise which is something I find deceitful. If the book had been called lighting with Nikon flashes, that would have been fine. Advertising pretending to be editorial only gives me negative connotations about the brand.
Title: Re: Free Nikon ?
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on June 05, 2015, 05:24:35 am
Am I missing something ?
Yes: that's not free, it is payed from the people who will buy nikon's camera.
Title: Re: Free Nikon ?
Post by: spidermike on June 05, 2015, 05:36:22 am
Yes: that's not free, it is payed from the people who will buy nikon's camera.

A fact often forgotten .
Title: Re: Free Nikon ?
Post by: Otto Phocus on June 05, 2015, 08:24:03 am
The end result is that people that may not have been able or willing to pay for a professional wedding photograph will walk away with what will probably be a nice photograph.
Nikon gets some advertising and good will reporting

I am sure that companies have spent a lot more on advertising and gotten less.

I don't see a problem with this at all.