Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: stamper on June 04, 2015, 08:01:40 am

Title: Two for one
Post by: stamper on June 04, 2015, 08:01:40 am
Definitely undecided on the merits of this one. Two images in one? The girls were setting up a photo shoot whilst the work men were....working. Too busy or do the two sets of people complement each other?
Title: Re: Two for one
Post by: Otto Phocus on June 04, 2015, 08:08:48 am
Well, first of all, as the artist, what was your artistic intent with this photograph*?  What caught your eye about this scene that made you think "I should shoot this"?

The workmen are difficult to see and there is little indication of what they are working on so I am not sure what the interest would be of the workmen.

What was it about the three women that caught your eye? 

* The fact that I am even asking this question, unfortunately indicates that your artistic intent was not clear, to me,  in this photograph.
Title: Re: Two for one
Post by: stamper on June 04, 2015, 08:13:56 am
Well, first of all, as the artist, what was your artistic intent with this photograph*?  What caught your eye about this scene that made you think "I should shoot this"?

The workmen are difficult to see and there is little indication of what they are working on so I am not sure what the interest would be of the workmen.

What was it about the three women that caught your eye? 

* The fact that I am even asking this question, unfortunately indicates that your artistic intent was not clear, to me,  in this photograph.

To be honest I can't answer that question. I think there possibly might be a decent image there but then again I can't make up my mind.
Title: Re: Two for one
Post by: Otto Phocus on June 04, 2015, 08:16:20 am
To be honest I can't answer that question. I think there possibly might be a decent image there but then again I can't make up my mind.

If I had a dollar for every time that has happened to me, I could afford the cameras I want.  :)

Near where I live is a tire swing hanging from an old tree.  I just know that there is a good shot somewhere...I just have not been able to find it.   :'(
Title: Re: Two for one
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 04, 2015, 12:40:53 pm
I think if you had taken it from more to the left, the workmen would be easier to see and could balance the three women better, perhaps  making for an interesting contrast between the two groups.

In the present image, you might try cropping closer in from the left, so that only the one workman's head shows between the women. The incongruity might work well.
Title: Re: Two for one
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on June 04, 2015, 12:54:47 pm
... whilst the work men were....working...

Seems to me one "workman" was working on tying his shoelaces (or removing bicycle clips) and the other was saying "Hurry up, we are late!" :)
Title: Re: Two for one
Post by: Otto Phocus on June 04, 2015, 01:05:52 pm
Seems to me one "workman" was working on tying his shoelaces (or removing bicycle clips) and the other was saying "Hurry up, we are late!" :)

Good point, when you enlarge it, that's what I see also.
Title: Re: Two for one
Post by: BobDavid on June 05, 2015, 02:20:17 am
I like this photo. It is odd. It has a 1960s Tri-X sort of feel to it. There is at least a story, or two, or three going on.
Title: Re: Two for one
Post by: stamper on June 05, 2015, 03:47:57 am
I think there might be a story. The girl on the left is holding a reflector for the upcoming shoot. The scene looked incongruous at the time. Obviously the image doesn't quite capture what was ongoing so the imagination has to infill what may be happening?