Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Roman Racela on June 02, 2015, 09:04:07 pm

Title: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: Roman Racela on June 02, 2015, 09:04:07 pm
I was going through some old unprocessed images that I initially never really bothered to check out after dumping them on the hard drive. This shot was taken back in July 2010...a long exposure image of the Balboa Pier in Newport Beach, CA about 5 miles away from my house. I used a 10X Lee Big Stopper filter to create that silky smooth look of the ocean water. I knew there was going to be a strong color cast using the Big Stopper and originally planned on doing a color match in PS with the correct white balance of this early morning image, but as inaccurate as the sunrise colors are on this photo I think I like it a lot and leave it the way it is.

Thanks for viewing. Enjoy.

(http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/romanwarrior/_MG_0538_zpsnyic3bnk.jpg) (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/romanwarrior/media/_MG_0538_zpsnyic3bnk.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on June 02, 2015, 10:32:42 pm
I like the photo, the exposure time worked out right. It does look a bit too magenta, but you explained why you did not corrected it.
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: Roman Racela on June 03, 2015, 01:06:29 am
Yup. Lots of magenta. I'll eventually color correct and desaturate it one of these days. :)

I like the photo, the exposure time worked out right. It does look a bit too magenta, but you explained why you did not corrected it.
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: Roman Racela on June 03, 2015, 01:16:08 am
I actually just quickly converted it to B&W and now I really like it.

(http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h88/romanwarrior/_MG_0538-BW_zpsltpofuxy.jpg) (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/romanwarrior/media/_MG_0538-BW_zpsltpofuxy.jpg.html)
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: thierrylegros396 on June 03, 2015, 03:43:43 am
Yes, very good in B/W !!

Thierry
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: Bob_B on June 03, 2015, 09:02:06 am
Yes, the b/w is stronger imho.
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: Roman Racela on June 03, 2015, 10:50:36 am
Thank you Thierry and Bob. :)
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: francois on June 03, 2015, 11:41:57 am
Yes, better in B&W!
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: Roman Racela on June 03, 2015, 01:32:17 pm
Thank you, Francois.

Yes, better in B&W!
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: polaris-14 on June 03, 2015, 01:57:02 pm
You know, there is a crazy magic with B&W Long exposure photography. Love the shot!
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: Roman Racela on June 03, 2015, 03:29:55 pm
I can't agree with you more, Polaris!

You know, there is a crazy magic with B&W Long exposure photography. Love the shot!
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: Chris Calohan on June 09, 2015, 08:24:39 am
Agree with the B&W and the Big Stopper tends toward the magenta side during exposures over one minute...I generally change my WB in camera to 6050K which tends to bring me back to a more neutral state.
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: NancyP on June 09, 2015, 11:54:38 am
Prefer the B&W - very nice.
Title: Re: Balboa Pier LE Shot
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on June 09, 2015, 12:32:59 pm
Yup. Lots of magenta. I'll eventually color correct and desaturate it one of these days. :)

As I read this comment, I thought it would look good in monochrome; I scrolled down a bit further and was proved right. Good shot!

Jeremy