Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on June 02, 2015, 02:06:09 pm

Title: The South
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 02, 2015, 02:06:09 pm
Questions
Color or B&W (I prefer color)?
Suggestions to improve B&W processing if you prefer that rendering

...and of course feel free to not like either, Thanks, -t

Title: Re: The South
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on June 02, 2015, 05:34:00 pm
I'm a fan of B&W, but here I think the color is needed.
Title: Re: The South
Post by: luxborealis on June 05, 2015, 07:22:52 pm
I'm a fan of B&W, but here I think the color is needed.


+1
Title: Re: The South
Post by: BobDavid on June 06, 2015, 09:17:32 am
I think the reddish soil helps the story. Several southern states have red soil (Kentucky?). The red truck is a focal point--men clustered around it. It appears this picture was taken on a hot and humid day. Looking very carefully, I see there may be a race track/mud track in the background.
Title: Re: The South
Post by: Bob_B on June 06, 2015, 09:52:59 am
I agree, as presented, the color version has greater impact and is my preference. However, I wonder if different b/w processing to accentuate and enhance the contrast might not greatly improve the b/w image?
Title: Re: The South
Post by: pegelli on June 06, 2015, 09:58:39 am
I too prefer the colour version.
However I also feel the people in the shot are somewhat disjointed (with some looking at different parts outside the frame) that I wonder if it will ever be strong enough to print and hang. Maybe as part of a series to show more context on the whole.
Title: Re: The South
Post by: RSL on June 06, 2015, 11:21:49 am
I agree. You need the color in this one, Todd. It's all about the earth being stripped, leaving behind red mud. I tend to agree with Pegelli that the shot's somewhat disjointed, but overall I think the composition is saved by the swirls and motion of the tracks on the left side, and the single guy walking up toward the others.
Title: Re: The South
Post by: BobDavid on June 06, 2015, 02:11:50 pm
I like the way each man is looking off in a different direction. I like this picture. I'd like it more as one in a series of two more photos.
Title: Re: The South
Post by: Todd Suttles on June 07, 2015, 10:29:42 am
I think the reddish soil helps the story. Several southern states have red soil (Kentucky?). The red truck is a focal point--men clustered around it. It appears this picture was taken on a hot and humid day. Looking very carefully, I see there may be a race track/mud track in the background.
I too prefer the colour version.
However I also feel the people in the shot are somewhat disjointed (with some looking at different parts outside the frame) that I wonder if it will ever be strong enough to print and hang. Maybe as part of a series to show more context on the whole.
I agree. You need the color in this one, Todd. It's all about the earth being stripped, leaving behind red mud. I tend to agree with Pegelli that the shot's somewhat disjointed, but overall I think the composition is saved by the swirls and motion of the tracks on the left side, and the single guy walking up toward the others.
I like the way each man is looking off in a different direction. I like this picture. I'd like it more as one in a series of two more photos.

Thanks everyone, exactly what I wanted to know. It is a part of a series, in Georgia USA, on the 4th of July, Hot Summer after rain; a dirt racing track.