Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: chiek on June 01, 2015, 09:42:22 pm

Title: Just received now Canon 5dsR, testing start to my CFV-50c, CF-39MS
Post by: chiek on June 01, 2015, 09:42:22 pm
received with Battery exhausted.   :-\ now charging...
Title: Re: Just received now Canon 5dsR, testing start to my CFV-50c, CF-39MS
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on June 02, 2015, 05:46:20 am
received with Battery exhausted.   :-\ now charging...

Hi 'chiek',

Looking forward to your findings. From what I've seen sofar, the aliasing artifacts of the R model (with AA-canceling filter) seem less than expected, but that's probably because most shots were taken with narrower(diffraction generating) apertures. Do add some wider aperture shots if you can. Starting at f/4.5 the diffraction at the pixel level will become visible as loss of micro-contrast in the finest/low-contrast details, and it will increase for narrower apertures. This will require deconvolution sharpening to compensate, and up to a point restore resolution. It's easier to do that without generating artifacts with a camera that uses an OLPF (Optical Low-pass Filter or AA-filter).

Although I understand your main personal interest is in Product photography, it would have been nice to compare the 5DS with the 5DS R on an objectively quantifiable target, like my 600 PPI (https://www.dropbox.com/s/hkityiw8xriu793/JTF144cy-130mm_600PPI.tif?dl=0) or 720 PPI (https://www.dropbox.com/s/iln22pym2sv5rs0/JTF144cy-130mm_720PPI.tif?dl=0) printer versions (shot from 25 - 50x focal length distance). It would also show how much of a difference the Raw converter can make in dealing with the (inevitable) false color moiré (from any Bayer CFA sensor, but especially the ones without OLPF), and how it changes due to diffraction. Capture One Pro does a very good job in mitigating the false color artifacts and still extract maximum resolution, in my experience.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Just received now Canon 5dsR, testing start to my CFV-50c, CF-39MS
Post by: JohnBrew on June 02, 2015, 07:04:34 am
Very interested in your findings as I am now testing my D810/Otus combination against an ALPA/CFV-50c.
Title: Re: Just received now Canon 5dsR, testing start to my CFV-50c, CF-39MS
Post by: nazdravanul on June 02, 2015, 11:18:26 am
I would also be interested in the D810/Otus vs CFV-50c vs 5sR combos, so please, put everything in here ....
Title: Re: Just received now Canon 5dsR, testing start to my CFV-50c, CF-39MS
Post by: uaiomex on June 02, 2015, 11:28:18 am
+1

I would also be interested in the D810/Otus vs CFV-50c vs 5sR combos, so please, put everything in here ....
Title: Re: Just received now Canon 5dsR, testing start to my CFV-50c, CF-39MS
Post by: JohnBrew on June 05, 2015, 01:38:20 pm
chiek, anything to report?
I finished up my testing yesterday but am holding back on any conclusions until I do some printing. I will say that the color and resolution straight out of the back (before any PP) was impressive.