Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 26, 2015, 03:34:17 pm
-
Processing, that is. Or is it?
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8850/18105690346_02ee11a56a_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/tzWoWW)Boston Harbor (https://flic.kr/p/tzWoWW) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
-
I like the anchor best, though all the framing devices for the buildings are good: the sky, the water, and the boat.
It's the buildings that don't do much for me.
What if you made them darker or some funny color?
-
... What if you made them darker or some funny color?
That's a fair point. Turning them more into silhouettes might work. I guess I was trying to preserve Boston's recognizability, as opposed to some generic skyline.
-
Looks good to me...but I may not be the best to ask.
nsfw
https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/05/20/on-the-subject-of-over-processing-and-over-retouching/
-
I like it as it is and I don't think it's over the top at all.
Bravo!
-
Not over the top at all, I like the image as is. Very nice!
-
Hi Slobodan.
I really like it ;-)
There is a story in the photo. Like the ship is on the way to the big city.
That is what I am imagining.
David
-
My daughter prefers this processing (using a Fluorescent white balance):
-
Your daughter has a good eye! Just a thought: your idea about a sillhouette of the city renders it no less recognizable for those that know it. Worst case, "in-bound vessel for a port unknown." I like both, but then, I'm easy!
-
My daughter prefers this processing (using a Fluorescent white balance):
brrrrr, too cold for me! I prefer the first image.
-
brrrrr, too cold for me! I prefer the first image.
Same here, the first one is more pleasant.
-
Too cold? Too cold?
Chicago is called, "The Windy City" for a reason.
This could be a balmy spring day in April that started out in the mid 60s (F) and a squall comes up with the temp dropping to 40F!
;)
-
Too cold? Too cold?
Chicago is called, "The Windy City" for a reason.
This could be a balmy spring day in April that started out in the mid 60s (F) and a squall comes up with the temp dropping to 40F!
;)
Suddenly the cool weather we've been having seems like a heat wave! 8)
-
Although I'm not much for the bulk of Garry Winogrand's work, (most of it was garbage.) he has a few sayings that are good.
One that is useful is...
Great photography is always on the edge of failure.
That is something to keep in mind. Don't all the landscapers look for the extremes in a pix? Golden and blue hour? Even the banal photogs look for their extremes. Push things to the edge.
-
... Chicago is called, "The Windy City" for a reason.
This could be a balmy spring day in April that started out in the mid 60s (F) and a squall comes up with the temp dropping to 40F! ;)
The OP photo was Boston, but I get your point.
We just had such a weekend here in Chicago. Friday was 80+, Saturday dropped to 46-48, with chill factor in the mid-30s. Completely ruined the first art fair of the season I had. Rainy, windy and cold the first day, with the ratio of artists to (brave) visitors about 10:1, got cancelled mid-day. Got a call from the security that my tent was damaged and to come fix it. Drove back 46 miles to find the tent actually ok, just a rack with matted prints on the ground, inside the tent. Removed all the art from the walls, packed it into the car and drove back home. Next day, Sunday, started without rain, but still windy and at 46 F. Tents in my raw were either packing, gone or never showed up, leaving me alone and totally exposed to the wind from any direction. So I packed and left too. Few visitors, a couple of compliments, zero sales and a couple of hundred dollars print damage, not to mention a wasted art-fair fee. :'(
-
Sorry to hear, Slobodan. Next time!
Right, Boston! No more hospitable, IMHO, ;)
-
Nice! Brings to mind something that should be the background for an advertisement for good whiskey in a magazine.
-
As everyone knows, the eye is attracted to the brightest part of the photograph. Unfortunately, in this photograph there is too much that is bright. I agree with the other posters in that the background might work better being darker. Perhaps, as you mentioned even a silhouette?
I do like the texture of the anchor. Nicely done!
-
As everyone knows, the eye is attracted to the brightest part of the photograph. Unfortunately, in this photograph there is too much that is bright. I agree with the other posters in that the background might work better being darker. Perhaps, as you mentioned even a silhouette?
I do like the texture of the anchor. Nicely done!
The OP photograph is now slightly modified to account for the "too bright" critique. Thanks all.
-
Yes, over the top. It looks so fake and over processed - just my opinion, but it seems really blatant.
-
The OP photograph is now slightly modified to account for the "too bright" critique. Thanks all.
It looks more like Boston.
-
It looks more like Boston.
Agreed.