Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: dwswager on May 26, 2015, 01:07:47 pm
-
Not sure where this should go, but looking for some ingenious people to suggest the best way to hang a Rotatrim trimmer on the wall.
This mainly for storage to get the thing off the work surface. But while I would bring it down for cutting, if I could get it to mount flush, I can envision maybe cutting some some items while mounted. My first thought was to just screw a couple hooks into the top and hang, but seems like a lot of weight.
(http://i.ytimg.com/vi/dzh8w4JavRU/maxresdefault.jpg)
-
Depending on the height of the feet, you might be able to attach a z-bar on the back RHS short side.
http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/Lion-Z-Bar-Hangers-300mm-1-pair------,33095,0.aspx
Not sure I would want to trim prints on a less than fully firm trimmer, but, you might find that the trimmer is stable enough (and the z-bars are good at supporting a heavy load)
-
You might find that with the trimmer on the wall, you need 3 hands to measure, hold and cut a print.
I have a 36" Rotatrim and I'm planning to store it in custom-made, shallow drawer mounted under a table top. I'll be able to do small trims with the trimmer in the drawer, but will still need to put it on a table to trim larger prints. But at least this will keep the trimmer safely out of the way and yet easily available when I need it. And I can finally get rid of the cardboard box that I keep it in now when it's not in use.
-
I have a 36" Rotatrim and I'm planning to store it in custom-made, shallow drawer mounted under a table top.
Great idea. Thank you. I'm about to build a new table and will incorporate this.
-
Depending on the height of the feet, you might be able to attach a z-bar on the back RHS short side.
http://www.lionpic.co.uk/product/Lion-Z-Bar-Hangers-300mm-1-pair------,33095,0.aspx
Not sure I would want to trim prints on a less than fully firm trimmer, but, you might find that the trimmer is stable enough (and the z-bars are good at supporting a heavy load)
Hadn't thought of that. Used them to hang a big framed Chinese cloth piece for my in-laws. Might work. It is a 1999 Master Cut II series that just has glued on rubber feet so I might have to get a little taller feet.
I'm not planning on cutting with it mounted to the wall, but you know how lazy some of us humans can be.
The drawer is a good idea, but I don't have the rest of the work area to go with it!
-
I first bought a 28" Dahle, but quickly found the length to be constricting. I heard that the Rotatims were better, so I bought a 54" Rotatrim.
Actually the Dahle cuts just as well, and it cuts in both directions. It is also lighter, and already set up for wall hanging. Next time around.
24", can't you just stick it under a bed?
Brian A
-
Actually the Dahle cuts just as well, and it cuts in both directions.
Brian, the RotaTrim can cut in both directions too if you need it to do so. It's in the manual and takes maybe 5 seconds to accomplish. - Jim
-
Made 2 of these print work stations in our cabinet shop for the print studio.
The one holds my trimmer in the bottom pullout. Very handy when needed and easy to put away.
The second is mostly used as a workstation for our laminators and of course has excellent storage.
-
The Z-bar hanger worked. The mounted rubber feet lift the cutting platform just high enough off the surface for the hanger to be clear of the work surface.
As to putting it under the bed, that would be a long hike every time I wanted to use it. My use is to cut roll paper and trim prints. My printer is only 17" wide so I usually am cutting 24" roll paper to widths between 11" and 17". Would I like to have a bigger one? Sure, I'd like to have a 24" printer and a Nikkor 200mm-400mm f/4, but I don't!
-
Brian, the RotaTrim can cut in both directions too if you need it to do so. It's in the manual and takes maybe 5 seconds to accomplish. - Jim
Manual? What manual? I have never received a manual.
Brian A