Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Jakub on May 22, 2015, 08:28:46 am

Title: De-bluring wind blown artifacts
Post by: Jakub on May 22, 2015, 08:28:46 am
I have a favorite landscape image which unfortunately has wind blown artifacts (leaves, small tree branches).
I don't have any experience with any de-bluring software, if it is even within the functional parameters of that
or any software on the market. I would need to apply this in a localized part of the image, not the whole image.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Title: Re: De-bluring wind blown artifacts
Post by: Peter McLennan on May 22, 2015, 11:05:36 am
Good luck with that.  PS has motion blur reduction, but it's probably not going to be totally effective.  That's a difficult problem. 
The best solution would be multiple images.  Perhaps blurring is present in parts of some images and not others.

In PSCC
Filter|Sharpen|Shake Reduction
Title: Re: De-bluring wind blown artifacts
Post by: howardm on May 22, 2015, 11:29:13 am
there is also a reasonably inexpensive plugin called Focus Magic which may be of some utility but as noted, it's a (very) difficult problem w/ current software
Title: Re: De-bluring wind blown artifacts
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 22, 2015, 12:50:44 pm
there is also a reasonably inexpensive plugin called Focus Magic which may be of some utility but as noted, it's a (very) difficult problem w/ current software

While FocusMagic can deblur well behaved linear motion blur, or defocus blur, the blur of moving leaves and branches is much more erratic.

Maybe something like DeblurMyImage (http://www.adptools.com/en/deblurmyimage-description.html) or SmartDeblur (http://smartdeblur.net/) can do something when it's given small crops of the full scene.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: De-bluring wind blown artifacts
Post by: howardm on May 22, 2015, 02:09:27 pm
Thanks, I wasn't aware of those 2 plug-ins.

Title: Re: De-bluring wind blown artifacts
Post by: Jakub on May 22, 2015, 02:57:28 pm
Thanks! I will check out a few of these. This is an image I captured with my view camera some years ago and scanned.
Usually I take multiple shots but this time I didn't. The wind was a nuisance that day as I recall. Once my patience has expired
I'll pack up the equipment and move on. Of course that is usually when the wind finally quiets down!
Title: Re: De-bluring wind blown artifacts
Post by: LesPalenik on May 23, 2015, 02:20:08 pm
I tried DeblurMyImages and Topaz InFocus, but they both failed miserably even on simplest images - linear or erratic motion.
DeblurMyImages didn't cost much, and teh author tried to help me, but even he wasn't able to improve the image beyond some ugly sharpening.
Apparently Adobe Shake reduction doesn't fare any better.

Don't waste any time or money on the image de-blurring products.
Title: Re: De-bluring wind blown artifacts
Post by: Jakub on May 23, 2015, 02:37:38 pm
I guess I'm not surprised especially having read previous comments. It is a complex problem
but at the same time an opportunity for someone to develop a software solution.
Title: Re: De-bluring wind blown artifacts
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on May 25, 2015, 09:39:05 am
Try this and see if it helps.

http://piccureplus.com