Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Capture One Q&A => Topic started by: mm111 on May 18, 2015, 02:16:52 pm

Title: problem with "offline" images
Post by: mm111 on May 18, 2015, 02:16:52 pm
Dear Gentleman, Thanks in advance for your consideration.

I moved a capture one catalog from my mac/pictures folder to an external hard drive, and also renamed-the catalog.
When i move the newly named catalog back onto my iMac desktop for use in capture one the files are all "offline" and i'm unable to export any of them into TIFF's.

I tried to use "locate files" which doesn't help, and also it doesn't let me drag the file back into the "catalog"

Are these files lost forever?  Thanks
Title: Re: problem with "offline" images
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on May 19, 2015, 11:32:34 am
Why did you move the Catalog back to the desktop again?
Title: Re: problem with "offline" images
Post by: ario on May 19, 2015, 11:54:21 am
Why did you move the Catalog back to the desktop again?
Sorry David, but why moving a catalog among different HD's should represent a problem? I have done it plenty of times; moving referenced files may require some adjustment but moving the catalog is generally safe. Do I miss something?
Title: Re: problem with "offline" images
Post by: BobShaw on May 19, 2015, 07:26:07 pm
I suggest you put the catalogue back to the external drive and leave it there.
To me you should always have it on an external drive so you can move it between computers.
Also always use referenced files. That way if you use multiple editing programmes they can all use the same originals, and your catalogue does not become 2TB in size.

The thing that will probably sway me to to Capture One from Aperture eventually is that you can have the external drive on a server, allowing overnight backups.
Title: Re: problem with "offline" images
Post by: Jimmy D Uptain on May 20, 2015, 07:12:28 am
If you use Time Machine, you may be able to restore it to the condition before you did all of the moving/renaming.
If not, you can always try to rename the catalog back to its original name. Maybe C1 will recognize.

Title: Re: problem with "offline" images
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on May 20, 2015, 04:26:42 pm
Sorry David, but why moving a catalog among different HD's should represent a problem? I have done it plenty of times; moving referenced files may require some adjustment but moving the catalog is generally safe. Do I miss something?

It shouldn't be, but I am not sure as to why you would?  But more importantly...

When i move the newly named catalog back onto my iMac desktop for use in capture one

I am wondering, about that particular statement?  Perhaps MM11 can elaborate?