Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: seamus finn on May 18, 2015, 12:11:32 pm

Title: Hotel Lobby
Post by: seamus finn on May 18, 2015, 12:11:32 pm
-

Title: Re: Hotel Lobby
Post by: petermfiore on May 18, 2015, 12:15:15 pm
Another Great classic, Seamus...

Peter
Title: Re: Hotel Lobby
Post by: RSL on May 18, 2015, 12:34:04 pm
Great grab, Seamus.
Title: Re: Hotel Lobby
Post by: seamus finn on May 18, 2015, 12:39:30 pm
Peter and Russ,

It's all about 'grabs' in this genre, isn't it. You either see it or you don't, but when you do see it, it's a rush.
Title: VERY nice, Seamus.
Post by: jeffreybehr on May 18, 2015, 12:41:03 pm
I usually don't appreciate B&W as much as many, but for me this really works the way you've developed it.
Title: Re: Hotel Lobby
Post by: RSL on May 18, 2015, 12:49:12 pm
It's all about 'grabs' in this genre, isn't it. You either see it or you don't, but when you do see it, it's a rush.

Exactly! But to see it you have to be looking -- always. I think people like Brooks Jensen, who says he doesn't understand street photography, start out with a pre-visualized image of what they're after when they pick up a camera. Creation is full of unexpected images. The unexpected ones always tend to be the best ones.
Title: Re: Hotel Lobby
Post by: Bruce Cox on May 18, 2015, 12:54:56 pm
The bicycle's shadow doesn't look planned and you don't know how long it will be there.
Title: Re: Hotel Lobby
Post by: seamus finn on May 18, 2015, 01:21:13 pm
Exactly! But to see it you have to be looking -- always. I think people like Brooks Jensen, who says he doesn't understand street photography, start out with a pre-visualized image of what they're after when they pick up a camera. Creation is full of unexpected images. The unexpected ones always tend to be the best ones.

Well, that's it exactly. In the end, it's all about instinct - what you see and how you react. That particular day, I spent a long time in the streets of London before walking through my familiar, crowded hotel lobby. I saw the unexpected - the usually crowded space momentarily empty, the light streaming in, the shadows on the floor.....Take the fecking shot!
Title: Re: Hotel Lobby
Post by: BobDavid on May 18, 2015, 01:23:41 pm
LPs in the way off background?
Title: Re: Hotel Lobby
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 18, 2015, 03:23:48 pm
I wish I'd taken it.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Hotel Lobby
Post by: Rainer SLP on May 18, 2015, 04:17:11 pm
Great  ;)
Title: Re: Hotel Lobby
Post by: stamper on May 19, 2015, 03:33:32 am
As it is it is a fine image. The repeating patterns make the image but I am wondering if the light areas at the top of the image could be cloned out because the eye is attracted to them first instead of the patterns. Either way a fine image.