Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 17, 2015, 09:17:35 pm

Title: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 17, 2015, 09:17:35 pm
Been to the Christian Motorcyclist Association annual gathering in Romeoville, Illinois:

(https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5469/17772287816_2d8b1c66b8_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/t5tBZs)
Chrome (https://flic.kr/p/t5tBZs) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: BobDavid on May 17, 2015, 11:19:12 pm
Wow, well done.
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: ErikKaffehr on May 18, 2015, 12:38:07 am
Hi,

I also feel it is "Wov, well done". Focusing on the essentials and great processing!

Best regards
Erik

Wow, well done.
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: stamper on May 18, 2015, 03:26:16 am
Interesting subject that is nicely processed. The deep blacks make the image.
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 18, 2015, 03:28:36 am
Been to the Christian Motorcyclist Association annual gathering in Romeoville, Illinois:

Lovely tones. Just as well you went to Romeoville and not Waco, eh?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 18, 2015, 10:07:13 am
Lovely tones. Just as well you went to Romeoville and not Waco, eh?

Yes, Jeremy, quite a coincidence. I also just returned from visiting a rural Texas, not unlike Waco, a few days ago. And I just finished binge-watching Sons of Anarchy :)

P.S. For those not familiar what Jeremy was referring to:

9 Dead in Waco, Texas, Biker Gang Shooting (http://abcnews.go.com/US/dead-waco-texas-biker-gang-shooting-cops/story?id=31109261)
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 18, 2015, 10:25:40 am
... Focusing on the essentials..

I have a square version (same bike, different shot) which does it even more so:
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: mbaginy on May 18, 2015, 10:31:12 am
Nice image, nice deep blacks.  I prefer the first (rectangular) photo.
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 18, 2015, 11:07:51 am
About that Christian part in the club's name... the event was in front of a church and a pastor (orange stripe) was going from bike to bike, saying a prayer for your safety and a blessing for the bike:
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 18, 2015, 11:12:50 am
It was quite colorful, characters as well:
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: seamus finn on May 18, 2015, 12:09:15 pm
Having trouble with very slow downloads on the site (I think it's a personal tech issue), but from what I can see, the wider image of the two is the better. Lovely b/w tones from a photographer who usually shoots in vivid colour. I love those bike pics  anyway  so you're preaching to the converted.
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on May 18, 2015, 03:25:38 pm
I have a square version (same bike, different shot) which does it even more so:

Good, but nowhere near as good, I think.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: BobDavid on May 18, 2015, 03:33:20 pm
Did the pastor bless your camera?
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 18, 2015, 04:31:54 pm
Did the pastor bless your camera?

It's a Canon... no blessing can help its dynamic range ;)
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on May 18, 2015, 06:41:28 pm
It's a Canon... no blessing can help its dynamic range ;)

Correct, it requires a competent photographer to operate it, like yourself ...
Don't you love the Canon color rendering? Beats CCDs any day.

Great shot and processing, despite the camera's shortcomings!

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: Some Guy on May 18, 2015, 11:48:24 pm
Harley is always a beautifully designed bike, even if one tears it down to nothing to fix.  They kept the engine as a showpiece and built around it.

I have a couple of BMW bikes now and once you pull off all the plastic, they have to be the ugliest looking things ever created.  So much "beautiful" (ugh!) German tech is covered up as an afterthought.  It's a complete rats nest of plastic stuff under there, and some of it heats and warps and then they don't run so good either (Damhik!) - even to the point of needing a flatbed hauler.

Okay, I'll add a friend's Gold Wing into the ugliest thing ever too once the plastic is off them.

SG
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: ripgriffith on May 19, 2015, 07:18:15 am
Harley is always a beautifully designed bike, even if one tears it down to nothing to fix.  They kept the engine as a showpiece and built around it.

I have a couple of BMW bikes now and once you pull off all the plastic, they have to be the ugliest looking things ever created.  So much "beautiful" (ugh!) German tech is covered up as an afterthought.  It's a complete rats nest of plastic stuff under there, and some of it heats and warps and then they don't run so good either (Damhik!) - even to the point of needing a flatbed hauler.
Nothing plastic about this Rennsport, just pure meanmachine.  As for Harleys, IMO they are just two-heeled tractors.  I've owned them over the years, never kept them very long because, they were, well,  just two-wheeled tractors that always, even when new, leaked oil...lots of oil.  Before I stopped riding, in my 60s,  I settled on a Honda 750SS, which would rip the floor out from under any Harley made, straightaway or tight curves on a road race course.
Title: Re: Chrome - A Motorcycle Detail
Post by: ripgriffith on May 19, 2015, 07:19:50 am
BTW, SB, gorgeous photographs!!