Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Rand47 on May 17, 2015, 10:46:24 am

Title: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: Rand47 on May 17, 2015, 10:46:24 am
Wow... Andy Ilachinski's words, and his lovely images, were the best investment of my time on LULA maybe ever.  To be honest, the first read through felt a bit pedantic.  The second read through "came through" as one of the most thoughtful observations on the pursuit of art I've ever read.  Andy is careful with words - something so rare that it blind-sided me at first.  

The images are lovely, just lovely, evocative, satisfying.

Thank you Lumious-Landscape for introducing me to Mr. Andy Ilachinski.

Rand
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: AlfSollund on May 17, 2015, 12:36:22 pm
+ 1.

For me the most inspiring article on photo I have read for long time. Well done!
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: uaiomex on May 17, 2015, 03:23:04 pm
Chapeau!

Eduardo
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: VidJa on May 17, 2015, 03:34:12 pm
I followed Andy a while back in 2007 but got caught up in work/family/random stuff. I was really nice and inspiring to read the article.
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: Dave Millier on May 17, 2015, 03:36:04 pm
I certainly though they were real landscapes. A treat to view.
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: bns on May 18, 2015, 05:46:49 am
A great eye opener. Thanks.

Boudewijn Swanenburg
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: Monochrome Eye on May 18, 2015, 10:21:17 am
Magnificent work! i went through his sight and could not find a description of how he takes these images. They almost look like "moving camera". I saw something about photography through objects. Does anyone know how these are made? Looks like a fun technique to try.

Thanks
Lonnie
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: jmlphotography on May 18, 2015, 11:08:25 am
Best article "on photography" I have read in a long, long time.  I put "on photography" in quotes because it really isn't. It's so much more than that.
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: Andy Ilachinski on May 18, 2015, 11:14:56 am
Meant to be a reply to "Monochrome Eye"'s post (I'm still new to posting here): Nothing fancy, I assure you. These are all simple macros (about a quarter taken with Canon's EF 100mm macro, and the rest with the MPE-65mm) of various colored glasses and bottles, sometimes including whatever liquid fills them at the time I "find" them. For example, here is an early "behind the scenes" shot using a half-full Rum bottle I found on my mother-in-law's dining room table:

http://www.sudden-stillness.com/Experiments/RumScapesMaster.jpg
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: Monochrome Eye on May 18, 2015, 11:36:23 am
Thanks Dr. Ilachinski for the response!
OMG! it is that simple! I was looking forward to exotic setups and expensive gear ;). I love the work. I am envious. I am a frustrated Phyics major who got road blocked by Tensors (never got the hang of them). Ended up being an engineer sigh....

Anyway thanks for the info. and good luck on your quests in life.
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: AreBee on May 18, 2015, 04:47:49 pm
Andy,

Quote
...RumScapesMaster.jpg

Your RumScapes is actually WhiskyScapes. Dalwhinnie, to be precise.
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: Andy Ilachinski on May 18, 2015, 05:12:48 pm
Andy,

Your RumScapes is actually WhiskyScapes. Dalwhinnie, to be precise.

I stand corrected ;-) Labels are generally an anathema for me (almost none of my images actually have one). Heck, I once even referred to my Canon as a Nikon (or vice-versa)! ; perhaps an overcompensation for the relentless focus on labels my "day job" forces on me! For the record though, I know for a fact that at least a few bona-fide RumScapes made their way into the portfolio (though, as you point out, not this one); I distinctly remember my wife's admonition to put the "Rum bottle!" back in its place as I was using a bit too much of it to help me find landscapes ;-)
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: ACH DIGITAL on May 18, 2015, 10:48:08 pm
Excellent work, best caption.
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on May 19, 2015, 03:30:57 am
Enlightening.
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: Monochrome Eye on May 19, 2015, 09:29:39 am
If anyone figures a way to do this through a pint of Guinness, let me know. On second thought Why waste the Guinness. ;D
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: Tom Spaulding on May 19, 2015, 09:07:05 pm
Very interesting article and pictures.

I tried one with a bottle of boone's farm  ;)

(http://i.imgur.com/hgz1wv9.jpg?1)

-Tom
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: darr on May 28, 2015, 01:09:04 am
Great article and images; thank you Andy!
Title: Re: Synesthetic Landscapes
Post by: jjstafford on May 29, 2015, 03:02:34 pm
Thank you, Andy Ilachinski. What a wonderful first experience for me in this forum.
.