Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape Photography Locations => Topic started by: DJSponge on May 17, 2015, 03:04:37 am

Title: Suggestions for a week in Colorado in early June? Visiting family...
Post by: DJSponge on May 17, 2015, 03:04:37 am
Greetings,

I'm flying into COS the first week of June, and I'm looking for ideas for some good locations to shoot.  I'm concerned that I'm too early for wildflowers, and too late for the snow.  I'll be staying in the springs, but I can venture out for 2-3 days of that week to hit some spots.  I'm considering Maroon Bells and Dallas Divide if the roads are open.  I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have!  My focal range will be FX 12mm - 400mm.  Thanks!

Regards,
Doug
Title: Re: Suggestions for a week in Colorado in early June? Visiting family...
Post by: Jglaser757 on May 28, 2015, 01:36:17 pm
Im surprised nobody has contributed to this thread.. I vote for the san juan mountains area. I was there last year..Gorgeous! Like a candy store for photographers!
Title: Re: Suggestions for a week in Colorado in early June? Visiting family...
Post by: Colorado David on May 28, 2015, 05:17:03 pm
If I was in Colorado Springs and had some level of family commitment, I would go to Rocky Mountain National Park. If I had no other commitments, I would head to the San Juans by way of the Collegiate Peaks and Crested Butte areas. If it was the best of autumn, I would head to Kebler Pass near Crested Butte.
Title: Re: Suggestions for a week in Colorado in early June? Visiting family...
Post by: PeterAit on May 29, 2015, 09:59:31 am
Drive over Independence Pass. You'll get some astounding vistas. We drove this road a couple of years ago on the last day it was open (it is closed in the winter). Pay attention to the driving!! No guard rails and 2000 foot drops.
Title: Re: Suggestions for a week in Colorado in early June? Visiting family...
Post by: ericbowles on May 30, 2015, 08:00:55 am
Don't miss Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs.  It's a great location - one even the locals visit over and over.

Mount Evans is great for wildlife but it is west of Denver so there is a drive involved.  Rocky Mountains NP is north of Denver, and doable as a long day trip or an overnight trip.  You could easily spend a few days or more in either location.
Title: Re: Suggestions for a week in Colorado in early June? Visiting family...
Post by: brianrybolt on June 02, 2015, 05:10:17 am
+1 for Garden of the Gods.