Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: barry685 on May 13, 2015, 11:35:16 am

Title: Borderless printing epson p800 or 3880
Post by: barry685 on May 13, 2015, 11:35:16 am
In the specs they limit border less cut sheet to specific sizes. Can this be customized to other sizes for instance 10x10 or 10x12?
Title: Re: Borderless printing epson p800 or 3880
Post by: howardm on May 13, 2015, 11:41:16 am
generally not because there are pickup sponges at specific places inside the printer that capture the overspray.

And borderless does make a mess inside.  You'd be VASTLY better off just sizing it as needed on a 'regular' size sheet and then trim
Title: Re: Borderless printing epson p800 or 3880
Post by: barry685 on May 13, 2015, 11:43:37 am
Quote
And borderless does make a mess inside.  You'd be VASTLY better off just sizing it as needed on a 'regular' size sheet and then trim
Even with the supported sizes?
Title: Re: Borderless printing epson p800 or 3880
Post by: howardm on May 13, 2015, 11:49:03 am
yes.  no matter what, borderless on defined sizes literally sprays into the body of the printer which eventually causes streaks, blobs, etc.

Really, really get a cutter and dont do borderless.
Title: Re: Borderless printing epson p800 or 3880
Post by: barry685 on May 13, 2015, 11:53:43 am
The only reason I am considering the purchase is for the cut sheet borderless  printing capability of  4x6, 5x7, 8x10 and 11x14's. I already own a canon Ipf6300 and would rather not trim.
Can the inside of the printer be cleaned? Or will constant borderless printing eventually ruin the printer?
Title: Re: Borderless printing epson p800 or 3880
Post by: Some Guy on May 13, 2015, 12:44:53 pm
The only reason I am considering the purchase is for the cut sheet borderless  printing capability of  4x6, 5x7, 8x10 and 11x14's. I already own a canon Ipf6300 and would rather not trim.
Can the inside of the printer be cleaned? Or will constant borderless printing eventually ruin the printer?

Won't ruin the printer, but it tosses a lot of ink onto that thin foam sponge under the paper track.  You could probably blot it up and clean it with some head cleaner, but it is very messy and takes a lot of time.  If it gets on the rollers, it becomes a bigger mess.  Would be nice if it popped out to clean it, but Epson doesn't build them to be easily serviceable - if at all.

Aside, I have a small Epson Charm PM-225 that has had a lot of borderless prints (Only 4x6 inches.) run through it, and I'd guess maybe close to 1,000 now since they sell the paper and ink as a combo (150 sheets to a box).  No issues of excess ink damaging the prints so far with it.  I don't know how or what they use in it to address the over spray.  Ink only seems to last about 80-90 sheets before it runs out though so the 150 is a lark.  I just send back the excess paper I accumulate and they refund about 30 cents per unused sheet.

SG
Title: Re: Borderless printing epson p800 or 3880
Post by: barry685 on May 13, 2015, 05:44:39 pm
Thanks for the info :)
Title: Re: Borderless printing epson p800 or 3880
Post by: Farmer on May 14, 2015, 12:10:11 am
Borderless at the defined sizes isn't an issue unless you're printing massive volumes in a short period of time.
Title: Re: Borderless printing epson p800 or 3880
Post by: BobShaw on May 15, 2015, 04:04:13 am
yes.  no matter what, borderless on defined sizes literally sprays into the body of the printer which eventually causes streaks, blobs, etc.

Really, really get a cutter and dont do borderless.
+1
If you want borderless then get a dye sub.
Title: Re: Borderless printing epson p800 or 3880
Post by: Wayne Fox on May 15, 2015, 04:46:33 am
Borderless at the defined sizes isn't an issue unless you're printing massive volumes in a short period of time.
Spot on.  It really depends on how many borderless prints you make, and how quickly you make them.  And you can maintain the sponges that catch the overspray, but if you print a lot of prints it can get messy and take some time. 

Too bad they didn’t put a replaceable set of pads in the new p800 like they have in the 4900 for borderless.
Title: Re: Borderless printing epson p800 or 3880
Post by: BobShaw on May 15, 2015, 09:22:45 pm
I don't have a 4900 but my understanding is that it doesn't print borderless less than 10" wide. (May not even print less than 10" wide)
To me borderless is something you want with small prints ( 6x4, 5x7) because you lose so much of the area. Doesn't really matter if a large print has a border because it will be mounted anyway.

I had to turn off the paper size check (and hence borderless) on the 3880 because I had skew problems on the manual feeders. Hence I don't think I'd recommend a 3880 or probably any ink jet for borderless prints.
Title: Re: Borderless printing epson p800 or 3880
Post by: dwswager on May 16, 2015, 07:26:40 pm
In the specs they limit border less cut sheet to specific sizes. Can this be customized to other sizes for instance 10x10 or 10x12?

Generally you don't want to try it.  I've used odd lengths.  For example, you can print and 8x10 borderless.  I've printed and 8 x 12 on 8x13" in paper.  You have to remember when printing borderless that it expands the size  slightly to cover the area.  This means your 360dpi that you sent the printer really ends up something slightly less.  All in all, you are better to just trim.  I buy 24" rolls and trim using a 24" Rotatrimmer.