Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on May 12, 2015, 02:38:50 pm
-
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8780/17567356385_22dd5e338e_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/sLni1V)
Houston Abstract 1 (https://flic.kr/p/sLni1V) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
(https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5330/17379544608_be52d85216_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/stLH7Q)
Houston Abstract 2 (https://flic.kr/p/stLH7Q) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
(https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8730/17381019439_29140a3940_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/stUgwX)
Houston Abstract 3 (https://flic.kr/p/stUgwX) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
(https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7767/17567256981_2262d2e50a_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/sLmMt4)
Houston Abstract 4 (https://flic.kr/p/sLmMt4) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
-
I really like your images, Slobodan! Clear, geometric and with beautiful colors. Great!
-
Great stuff, I like them all but especially the second.
-
Excellent work!
JR
-
I prefer the third with the second a close ... second.
-
I like them all, particularly the second, but I'm not sure that any of them is truly an "abstract": they're all very obviously photographs of modern, glass-clad office buildings. Or am I being too literal in my interpretation of the word? And does it matter?
Jeremy
-
Already gave some comments on Flickr yesterday, really like #3 and #4, gorgeous colours and i really like how in #4 the parallel upright lines apear to diverge towrds the top as our (or at least mine ;) ) eyes are tricked by the alternating pattern of skewed and more or less horizontal lines. Very dynamic !
Best Regards, Sander
-
I'm with Jeremy. I wouldn't call them abstracts but they're very fine pattern shots. Very nice, Slobodan.
-
... I'm not sure that any of them is truly an "abstract"... Or am I being too literal in my interpretation of the word?...
Which is...?
-
The first, third, and the last are strong: color, composition, subject. Abstract? How about hyper real instead?
-
Which is...?
As implied by the rest of my comment, that it should be impossible, or at the very least difficult, to identify the subject matter.
Jeremy
-
Great 4 images. Like them all a lot.
The most interesting is number 4 because even being completely straight all lines, one gets the impression that somehow the lines are opening on the top
¿ Optical Ilusion ?
May I ask which lens did you use for number 4 ?
-
... May I ask which lens did you use for number 4 ?
The first one was at 70mm, the last three at 200mm, on a full-frame.
-
As implied by the rest of my comment, that it should be impossible, or at the very least difficult, to identify the subject matter.
Hi Jeremy,
Yes, I assume that would be the case, but just wanted to be sure.
It is a fair question. Like many other words, "abstract" can have multiple meanings and not everyone will have the same one in mind or even agree with some. It is also not a binary definition, i.e., either 0 or 1 (i.e., either totally "obvious" or totally "abstract")... there is quite a range between the two.
But before we embark on deconstructing the linguistic aspect of the word, I think there is one thing that shall be taken into account when it comes to "obviousness" of the images: I presented them in a series, where at least two of them (#1 and #4) contain more of the recognizable elements. I wonder if you just saw, say, #3, or especially #2, alone, would you still easily know what it is about?
(https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5330/17379544608_be52d85216_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/stLH7Q)Houston Abstract 2 (https://flic.kr/p/stLH7Q) by Slobodan Blagojevic (https://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
According to Dictionary.com, there are at least 14 different meanings, plus two idioms for the term "abstract."
Meaning #1 seems to be the closest to the one you and some others have in mind:
1. thought of apart from concrete realities, specific objects
The one I have in mind, however, is this one (note the reference to fine arts - emphasis mine):
5. Fine Arts.
of or relating to the formal aspect of art, emphasizing lines, colors, generalized or geometrical forms, etc., especially with reference to their relationship to one another.
Some other meanings are directly opposed to the notion that it "should be impossible, or at the very least difficult, to identify the subject matter." For instance, "abstract" also means (emphasis mine):
6. a summary of a text, scientific article, document, speech, etc.; epitome.
7. something that concentrates in itself the essential qualities of anything more extensive or more general, or of several things; essence.
In other words, even if you recognized it as "modern office buildings" you did so because I successfully summarized it to its essence ;)
-
Slobodan, you certainly have a way with words and equally with images. I wonder if you have considered cropping out the top-right highlight reflection in image #3? I really like that the image has those secondary light purple reflections in the dark purlple area on right. I think the interplay between the irregular rectangle shapes and lines would flow better with only those reflections and simplify even more an excellent abstraction.
JR
-
... I wonder if you have considered cropping out the top-right highlight reflection in image #3?..
Hi John,
I appreciate the suggestion, and it is certainly a valid option. I assume you are talking about the blue strip in the upper right corner? For us photographers, what to include and what to exclude is a constant battle. In this case, to make it more abstract or slightly less so. There are two reasons I left it. One is that cropping it would crop the highest window in the left corner as well, and i quite like how it changes colors from dusty pink to mauve and wouldn't want to lose it. Then again, if that would be the only reason, I could easily clone that blue patch. The second reason is that I quite like things like these, which I call "little pockets of surprise." Something unexpected, non-perfect, something that interrupts and disrupts the harmony and perfection, allows the eye to explore, go around, find something surprising, go back, and ultimately gently leave the image.
-
Slobodan,
What makes you consider that "...something that interrupts and disrupts the harmony and perfection, allows the eye to..." "...ultimately gently leave the image."?
-
Rob,
Now that you shorten my sentence like that, what I said does not make much sense, at least not directly. Though not entirely your fault. I skipped a part of my explanation for brevity (if my rambling could even be considered for that ;))
The part I skipped: not every "pocket of surprise" allows for "gently leaving the image," but this one in particular might, being in the upper right corner, being a bit lighter and resembling a patch of sky.
In classical pictorial composition, we are all aware of the need to have an Entrance into the picture, a starting-point for viewing. Leading lines, stepping stones, brightest spot, etc. We are also aware of the need to keep a viewer's attention long enough as not to quickly or abruptly leave the image. We want viewers to wander around, explore, note details, etc. But in our efforts to prevent leaving the image too soon, we forget the final chapter: that we should actually let the viewer ultimately leave. Hence the role of Exit. It would be typically a door, a window, or a patch of sky. Not too strong and prominent as to immediately attract attention, but just enough to allow for so-called "air holes" or breathing space.
-
All strong.
-
Hi Jeremy,
...
In other words, even if you recognized it as "modern office buildings" you did so because I successfully summarized it to its essence ;)
I think I would have recognised abstract 2 as glass-clad buildings without much difficulty, even out of context. We have quite a few in Manchester, although they're less pretty and much less often illuminated by direct sunlight. However, I think you have inspired me: I'll give it a go when we next have a day with some breaks in the cloud (2018, I expect).
I'm perfectly happy to accept your skill in summarising! I really liked the images and I suppose I quibble about the use of the word "abstract" simply because I enjoy quibbling about the use of words (I am a lawyer, remember).
Jeremy
-
Slobodan,
Thanks for clarifying.
...not entirely your fault.
Not my fault at all.
BobDavid,
The first, third, and the last are strong: color, composition, subject.
What is it about Houston Abstract 2 that makes you consider it to be not strong?
-
BobDavid,
What is it about Houston Abstract 2 that makes you consider it to be not strong?
That particular picture isn't as nuanced: not as many subtle colors and less spatial interplay.
-
That particular picture isn't as nuanced: not as many subtle colors and less spatial interplay.
And yet, in spite of that, or perhaps because of that, it is my personal favorite :)
-
Nancy,
All strong.
What is it about Houston Abstract 2 that makes you consider it to be strong?
-
I like them all, but particularly the third one: there is a sort of dialectic between the dominant (mitteleuropean) rational order and a vital (balcanic? ;)) anarchy on the right.
-
I can see why you would prefer number two. It is different from the others.
-
I like them all, but particularly the third one: there is a sort of dialectic between the dominant (mitteleuropean) rational order and a vital (balcanic? ;)) anarchy on the right.
Ha! That's a novel one! Probably quite correct as well.
Houston streets are built in a grid pattern. When Austro-Hungarian empire was building new villages in the occupied Balkan areas (northern Serbia, etc.), they used that grid pattern too. Balkan villages, however, are typically spread around hills and valleys haphazardly, more like ranches in the American west.