Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: bernie west on May 12, 2015, 01:37:55 am

Title: Creating a mask for a mask in photoshop?
Post by: bernie west on May 12, 2015, 01:37:55 am
Is there a technique to create a mask for a masked layer?  Let's say I do a levels adjustment and mask it such that it's only affecting the centre portion of the image.  The mask would be essentially a large soft white circle in the middle of the image, within a black surrounding.  Then let say I want the adjustment to only work in the top half of the revealed mask.  How can I go about that?  I figure there must be a simple way to do this, but I can't seem to find it.  I want to do it this way as opposed to modifying the original mask, in case I want to adjust the second masking further.
Title: Re: Creating a mask for a mask in photoshop?
Post by: smahn on May 12, 2015, 02:21:44 am
Put the layer inside a group and add a mask to the group. So the group's mask masks the layer's mask.
Title: Re: Creating a mask for a mask in photoshop?
Post by: bernie west on May 12, 2015, 04:34:16 am
Thanks for that!  I knew it would be something simple.