Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: ricky02 on May 09, 2015, 07:10:16 pm
-
Hi
just got a Canon ipf6450 tried the sample pack from Moab, loved the Museum Rag, but was blown away by the Metallic Pearl, for exhibition and sale i´m thinking of mounting on foam board without glass, has anyone tried this, do i need to do some coating on the prints?
-
I agree it's a very nice paper. The Breathing Color Vibrance Metallic is also nice, seems to have a bit less of an issue with bronzing on my 9900 for some reason.
As for display without glazing, I believe the Moab is an RC based paper, and it seems to have a tougher finish than many such papers. It's a pearl semi-gloss and should work well in that type of application. You could always put a coating of print varnish on the finished prints as a level of protection. Moab has a product called Moab Desert Varnish and it's very similar to Premier Print shield. Both are sold in aerosol cans.
I am also interested in the Moab Metallic Silver, which Moab claims is Alpha Cellulose, and thus should not outgas.
Paul
-
Paul,
thank you for your replay.
I can´t find Desert Varnish here in E.U., i´m concerned about life fastness of the print without glass, will Timeless from Breathing Color do?
FR
-
I have a number of prints on Metallic Pearl (Epson 3880) w/o any glazing for approx 6mo. with full morning sun and have not seen any issue other than some dust which easily wipes off. I kind of doubt you need anything as a coating unless the environment is particularly bad.
-
Another thumbs up for Moab Pearl Metallic,
But I absolutely hate their Silver Metallic
-
I think all the coating sprays are essentially the same stuff (not completely sure) - could you find Hahnemuhle Protective Spray in Europe?
-
Moab, Premier and Hahnemuhle spray are exactly the same thing. The manufacturers get the can and put their label on them.
If you're going to sell the prints or even put in a "museum" location (or trade show), it's best to coat them for protection.