Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: nemophoto on May 06, 2015, 02:43:11 pm
-
Perhaps this is just coincidence, but ever since I installed Lightroom CC last week, I have been experiencing computer freezes -- usually in Lightroom, but occasionally not. (I run Win 8.1 x64, 32GB RAM, SSD for primary drive, and AMD FX9590, and an AMD Radeon R9 280X-DC2 graphics card.)
I have been working with Microsoft on the issue, thinking it's a Windows issue. After a while, the tech removed and reinstalled the latest drivers for video. The computer today (compared to yesterday with 8 or 9 crashes/freezes) was running pretty well for the past hour or so. As soon as I started doing intensive work with Lightroom, it froze my system. (This will also happen when using Perfect Suite 9.5, which relies heavily on the GPU.) I'm starting to think it's some sort of graphics issue, but it also seems to point to the installation and use of Lightroom CC, which is now GPU oriented. I switched from nVidia about a year ago because I was having so many technical issues with buggy drivers. (Seems they were releasing yet another new driver every week.)
Any thoughts?
Nemo
-
I suggest turning off GPU support for now. Adobe is working with AMD to fix some problems.
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/problem-with-my-graphics-processor
-
I have had the same problem running a late 2012 iMac 3.4 i7 32gb ram NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB
I don't know if it is coincident with updating to yosemite but LR cc crashes / freezes when processing over 100 d800 photos every time. Turned off GPU still happens. AT a loss as to what to do other than revert back to 5.7 which was completely stable I will see if this now happens with Yosemite and 5.7
I waited awhile before updating to yosemite but maybe not long enough and was obviously to keen to jump in on cc LR upgrade, Lesson learnt - again.
-
Well, I decided to fork over $99 to Microsoft to help deal with it, thinking maybe it was OS related. It wasn't (though they did clean things up a bit so it boots and shuts down faster). They felt it was a graphics card/driver issue. So, I called Asus, the manufacturer of both my motherboard and AMD graphic card. After some discussion, they think it may be my memory. The Asus tech guy said that if it was graphics card related, I'd be having other display issues, such as artifacts, blank screens, etc. Since I have four sticks of RAM (8GB each=32GB), they suggested taking out two at a time and see if I can freeze the system, and keep alternating sticks till I find what is most likely the culprit. So, that's where I start today.
-
I've had my MacBook Pro for over a year and it had never frozen until I installed LRCC. Now it freezes frequently but only when using LR. I suspected it had to do with it and now that I read all your comments I confirm it. I hope they come up with a fix for this bug soon.
-
Welcome to LuLa. This was documented elsewhere. Delete your preview folder. LR will make a new one and all will be fine. - Jim