Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: justbart on May 05, 2015, 08:16:49 am

Title: PhaseOne P45+ Cap
Post by: justbart on May 05, 2015, 08:16:49 am
I've finally got myself a DB but then its come with a lost cap (bought on ebay) I really didn't think it would be a problem, but as far as I can tell I can only buy a new one from the US for $220 with another chunk of cash for shipping.  :-[ Anyone got any ideas for something that I could use instead? Its for a P45+ H fit?
Title: Re: PhaseOne P45+ Cap
Post by: gebseng on May 05, 2015, 08:44:58 am
How about this: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Hasselblad-Protection-Cover-Cap-CCD-Sensor-for-H3D-/311335131471?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487d05194f

still crazy for a piece of plastic, but at least only € 100,-

cheers,

geb
Title: Re: PhaseOne P45+ Cap
Post by: justbart on May 05, 2015, 09:07:02 am
Thanks for that - both speedy and helpful! I'll see if I can confirm the fitting it looks a hell of a lot smarter than the phaseone anyway but either way I should buy from hasselblad...  ;D
Title: Re: PhaseOne P45+ Cap
Post by: Chris Livsey on May 05, 2015, 10:33:17 am
Aluminium cover for H digital back £65 (+VAT if in EU)
http://procentre.co.uk/sales-secondhand-medium-format-digital.php

Title: Re: PhaseOne P45+ Cap
Post by: Tony Ventouris Photography on May 05, 2015, 10:55:57 am
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/265155-REG/Hasselblad_53371_Magazine_Cover_For.html

What about that?  If it fits their film magazine, it should fit the digital back right?  My phase one P45 cover fits the magazine perfectly.  Would it work vice versa?  The price is nice too!
Title: Re: PhaseOne P45+ Cap
Post by: justbart on May 07, 2015, 08:43:00 am
Well I'm going for the magazine cover first and if that doesn't work you'll hear about it - and I'll get the aluminium cover instead. Pity that phase one are so silly about the price of their covers though...  :)
Title: Re: PhaseOne P45+ Cap
Post by: gebseng on May 07, 2015, 09:24:30 am
My guess is that the aluminum cover would be better, since the plastic cover introduces more dust to the sensor because of static electricity.
Title: Re: PhaseOne P45+ Cap
Post by: Doug Peterson on May 07, 2015, 09:48:30 am
I would not suggest the plastic cap.

If the cap falls off, or is bent inward toward the sensor by a jolt/drop/etc it may scratch the IR filter, which is an expensive repair.

If you opt for the Hassy metal cover just make sure you purchase from somewhere that will let you try it first, or at least return it if the fit is not good. They *should* absolutely be interchangeable, but you want the fit to be very good so that the plate is not easily knocked/rattled off.

Re: the price - I agree it's a bit silly. But I don't know the last time we "sold" a Phase One DB Plate. The plate comes with every new, refurbished, or pre-owned back that a dealer sells (as does a warranty, all new accessories like batteries/cables/chargers/etc, and dealer support). If we had one of our clients lose one we'd try to find a more creative solution for them than the list price for that component as a matter of customer service.
Title: PhaseOne P45+ Cap
Post by: cyron123 on May 08, 2015, 12:18:39 pm
Hi,
Do not buy the plastic cap. Doug is right! The small hooks at the cap will break and they could scratch the sensor... My hooks  broke and fall on the sensor. But I have seen it and could aware the sensor from scratches...
Now I have a metal one. Much better!! I bought a used one from Calumet. Call some photography shops. On eBay a cap is not very frequently..
Best