Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: bernie west on May 05, 2015, 07:49:32 am

Title: My Nikon D810 won't turn off anymore
Post by: bernie west on May 05, 2015, 07:49:32 am
I was out shooting today and my D810 developed this problem.  Even when you pop the battery out and leave it out for a while and put it back in it's still on.  Strangely, I managed to turn it off a couple of times by changing the setting on the left top dial (the one for shooting method).  I was shooting with mirror lock up, and decided to switch back to single shot, and the camera turned off then.  

Also, the image review decided to stay on permanently until I half pressed the shutter.  

Any ideas what might be going on?  I guess I might try a factory reset if that is possible.  It's still under warranty, so I can get it fixed, but I'd prefer not to have to send my camera off for a month if I can fix it myself.
Title: Re: My Nikon D810 won't turn off anymore
Post by: Rory on May 05, 2015, 10:02:49 am
What type/manufacturer memory card are you using?  Long shot, but try doing a factory reset and remove the memory card.  To do a factory reset hold down the two controls with a small green dot beside them: QUAL + Exposure compensation.
Title: Re: My Nikon D810 won't turn off anymore
Post by: bernie west on May 05, 2015, 10:25:11 am
It's a Sandisk.  No luck with swapping it in and out.  I also changed lenses.  I tried the reset too.  It's still not turning off. 
Title: Re: My Nikon D810 won't turn off anymore
Post by: Rory on May 05, 2015, 10:35:55 am
That does not sound good.
Title: Re: My Nikon D810 won't turn off anymore
Post by: bernie west on May 05, 2015, 10:40:01 am
I guess the switch is probably stuffed.  Sigh.  Have to send it off for repair.