Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: petermfiore on May 04, 2015, 06:59:13 am

Title: I told you
Post by: petermfiore on May 04, 2015, 06:59:13 am
I told you...

Peter
Title: Re: I told you
Post by: louoates on May 04, 2015, 01:04:36 pm
Interesting idea with the two children but I don't understand including the rest of the scene.
Title: Re: I told you
Post by: spidermike on May 05, 2015, 05:23:10 am
I agree with lou. The guy with half a head is very distracting for me and with the kids so close to the edge and looking out of the image it loses my attention too easily.
Title: Re: I told you
Post by: stamper on May 05, 2015, 06:29:15 am
Agreed with the above.
Title: Re: I told you
Post by: Bruce Cox on May 05, 2015, 10:28:26 am
The composition makes a lot of sense to me. 

However, the processing isn't helping much.

It might work better at lower contrast with the left side even flatter and more shadow detail on the right.
Title: Re: I told you
Post by: PeterAit on May 05, 2015, 11:04:21 am
It might work better at lower contrast with the left side even flatter and more shadow detail on the right.

Why more shadow detail? Sometimes shadows are black, period, and just because shadow detail is sometimes desirable does not mean it always is. I think the processing is spot-on. I would suggest, however, a small crop at the top to remove the half-head and the car wheels. And a small crop at the left to remove the garbage bag (or whatever it is).
Title: Re: I told you
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 05, 2015, 12:05:50 pm
Here's my chance to disagree with almost all the other comments.   ;)

I like both the composition and the processing as is.

The kids are, of course, the main draw. But you can't see their faces, so they remain anonymous. Second focal area is the wandering sets of headless legs, whose anonymity seems to comment on the kids'. And the car wheels are just a variant of the wandering legs, adding amusement.

If it were my shot, the only thing I'd be tempted to do is to remove the half-head, or blank it out to enhance the sense of anonymity. I wouldn't crop, though, because that would kill the car wheels, which I like.

Just my 0.02 cents.
Title: Re: I told you
Post by: Rainer SLP on May 05, 2015, 12:46:23 pm
Hi,

Quote
... the only thing I'd be tempted to do is to remove the half-head ...

I totally agree with Eric, but what I quoted from him would brings a major problem into the photograph because then you would have a non half headless trunk walking like a zombie ..

or did you @ Eric mean ... to clone out the complete person ?

On the other side that half head could be interpreted that he also does not know what the little girls are talking about (well, this I just magically drew out of my sleeve)   ::)

At first sight my eyes were drawn to the girls looking into the shop window and so for me the photographer accomplished his goal, he has got a " Composition "  ;D
Title: Re: I told you
Post by: petermfiore on May 05, 2015, 08:54:52 pm
Thanks all for the wonderful feedback...I greatly appreciate all points of view.

Peter

Title: WARNING: Cropping and Straightening Ahead
Post by: mezzoduomo on May 05, 2015, 09:26:41 pm
Don't hate me for this....
Title: Re: WARNING: Cropping and Straightening Ahead
Post by: petermfiore on May 05, 2015, 10:04:18 pm
Don't hate me for this....

Hate is such a strong word...

Peter
Title: Re: WARNING: Cropping and Straightening Ahead
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on May 06, 2015, 12:12:12 am
Don't hate me for this....
I don't hate you at all.

But I really don't like your interpretation of Peter's fine shot at all.  :(