Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Garnick on May 03, 2015, 08:23:58 pm
-
Hello all,
I'm trying to retrieve a couple of presets for the driver and I cannot remember where they are saved. I assume it would be somewhere in the System folder(Mac), but can't seem to find anything there yet. Perhaps Library, but haven't found them there either. As I recall, it was a somewhat hidden location, buried in the bowels of the OS. Any help would be much appreciated.
Gary
-
I didn't know either, so I ran the system utility fs_usage while creating a preset.
It wrote to /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.custompresets.forprinter.Epson_Stylus_Pro_3880.plist
This file is a binary plist format. If you need to see what's in there or edit it, you can use the command line utility plutil.
Hope this gives you enough clues to proceed.
-Paul
-
Thank you for this Paul, much appreciated. When I located the file I remembered being there before, but it's been a long time. I've been experiencing some computer issues for the past week+, so I've been operating from one of my Boot Clones. With all of this nonsense I seem to have lost a couple of my presets, so today I've been trying to create a new preset for canvas. Usually not a big deal, but for some reason it just isn't working. I checked back on my Boot Clone drive and noticed that the presets file there is dated April 23rd. At that time I think everything was working well, at least as far as driver presets is concerned. I have an idea that might work and I'd like your opinion. If I were to copy the current preset file and lockfile from today and save them in a secure location, then replace them with the ones form Apr23rd, do you think that might work? If not I could simply replace those older files with the ones dated today. Seems that might be an alternative and hopefully a fix, not sure. So again, thanks for the direction and I'll look for your next reply if possible.
Also, I'm not familiar with the system utility "fs_usage". Please enlighten me.
Gary
-
Yes I think that has a good chance of working. I don't know what you'll need to do to get the driver to notice the updated file; maybe reboot.
fs_usage is a command-line program that comes with Mac OS X. It gives you a way to peek at what file actions are being done by any or all programs running in the system. Open Terminal and say "man fs_usage" for all the details.
-Paul
-
Yes, definitely a reboot I would think. That's what I had planned on. If I can find a way to actually save these new presets I have to build I won't bother trying this procedure, but so far not much luck I'm afraid. The computer issue has played havoc with a number of things, but since I do a lot of printing, it's a pain there. It doesn't seem to affect the custom paper sizes, which I have a lot of, just building new presets. Also, thanks for the info on "fs_usage", I'll give that a try when I have some time.
Gary