Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: MrIconoclast on April 30, 2015, 02:30:32 pm
-
I have printed a number of photos on a flat matte printing paper with just a bit of texture that adds some 'character', IMHO.
The question is how to best display them in a person's home. Not in a gallery and they are not for sale. Just for the owners to look at and enjoy.
I could put them in a frame with glass over them, but I think that detracts from being able to appreciate the texture and other qualities of the print.
How do people display these prints?
-
If qualities like paper sheen (or lack thereof) and texture are very important I think there are only two options:
1. If the prints don't need to last just mount them in any way you like and throw them away or replace them as needed. Paper isn't washable and unprotected prints will eventually be covered with a film of grime and dust.
2. The biggest reason for framing a print behind glazing is to prolong its life enormously by isolating it from its environment. That includes everything from smoke and grime to fingers. Glazing is washable and replaceable if need be. If reflections are a problem there are products like Museum Glass that are practically invisible. This leaves the paper completely unaltered and visible. It's as close as it gets to a naked print that's also protected for long term durability.
-
I learned a few things from Bill T! I use Epsom hot press natural mounted on foam board and varnished. Protects print and eliminates need for glass for protection. No mat either! Just a plain white frame!
-
Thanks. I will try that out. I am still looking for other alternatives.
The prints do not have to last more than a few years. I tend to redo a wall of photos every few years with new images.
I really appreciate the help and suggestions.
-
Thanks. I will try that out. I am still looking for other alternatives.
The prints do not have to last more than a few years. I tend to redo a wall of photos every few years with new images.
I really appreciate the help and suggestions.
I'll do prints on Canson Rag Photographique and Hahnemühle German Etching without glazing. I do three or four coats of Hahnemühle Protective spray. I would recommend keeping a feather duster around; they do gather dust and debris.
Brian A