Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Appeal for a photography tech sub-forum  (Read 37281 times)

Theodoros

Re: Appeal for a photography tech sub-forum
« Reply #100 on: November 29, 2014, 08:56:51 am »

Techniques isn't the same as tech talk, gentlemen.
Tech talk isn't posts that have irrelevant "tests", compare apples with (non existing) oranges, dominate all threads, are posted everywhere without having relevance on the subject, mislead, or misguide people.... This is called "trolling" under any sensible way of thinking (in fact is the definition of it...)... Naming it otherwise ("tech talk" or "Techniques" or other...) is what is universally called... Babel!

Theodoros

« Reply #101 on: November 29, 2014, 09:02:23 am »

I could use either as an aid to sleep.

You want to talk technique then create your own threads and request the discussion is limited to the topic. If it goes off topic then lock the thread.

Is this guy reading???!!!! ....what are you talking about? ....Babel! ...total Babel!

Theodoros

« Reply #102 on: November 29, 2014, 01:47:52 pm »

Feel free to post on the "Fun with medium format" thread and let your images do the talking.

Nah..., I have different opinion to the relevance of resolution with photography and also have different opinion on what a photograph is.... IMO, a photo-graph is only the printed thing on paper... that applies to my artistic work which is mostly "street".
 OTOH, my pro stuff done with MF is almost entirely images of art work reproduction (much of it ancient), all done in 16x multishot and processed with absolute colour profiles, which needs special written licence to be presented on web and it would only be aloud in worthless resolution...

Jerome has seen much of both in the OP forums, but it's now withdrawn... (and won't be posted again - no need to - posting in forums can't be of use to me).
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 01:49:42 pm by Theodoros »

Theodoros

« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2014, 01:51:51 pm »

tjv

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2014, 07:12:13 pm »

I actually think the real problem here is the callous and aggressive way some people have started to articulate themselves in these threads.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2014, 05:35:44 am »

Hi,

Synn is not always very specific, so I don't know if he is referring to me.

Facts are something like this:

I bought the P45+ in June 2013 and have been shooting with it since that. Of my shooting, about 1/3 fell on the P45+:

P45+: 3123
SLT99: 4416
SLT77: 1524

Those figures include a workshop and mountain walks were the P45+ was left behind. Weight can be a concern and so can flying be problematic with to much gear.
On the other hand I often pick the Hasselblad first out of the backpack. When feasible I carry both Sony and Hasselblad. Something like 18 kg (including tripod).

I did offer my kit for sale (without any price suggested) on both GetDPI and here on LuLa. It was really in anticipation to 50 MP 24x36 expected early 2015. The question is really, once I have 50 MP on DSLR and a couple decent lenses to match, how much use will the Hasselblad see? On the other hand I like shooting with it.

Anyway, I didn't get a single response. A poster I trust suggested that my sample of the P45+ was a very good one (much better than the copy he had).

So I stayed with it and even bought another lens, the 100/3.5 Planar that I always wanted to have.

Next year we will see if it stay a favourite or will be an expensive dust collector. I honestly don't know. Or, I could go with the Hasselblad VFC-50 back, now that it has live view. But than we have that crop factor of 1.3…

Best regards
Erik

Erik sold his MF gear? I did not realise that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:49:44 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2014, 08:55:28 am »

Hi,

I bought the P45+ in June 2013 and have been shooting with it since that. Of my shooting, about 1/3 fell on the P45+:

Those figures include a workshop and mountain walks were the P45+ was left behind. Weight can be a concern and so can flying be problematic with to much gear.
On the other hand I often pick the Hasselblad first out of the backpack. When feasible I carry both Sony and Hasselblad. Something like 18 kg (including tripod).

I did offer my kit for sale (without any price suggested) on both GetDPI and here on LuLa. It was really in anticipation to 50 MP 24x36 expected early 2015. The question is really, once I have 50 MP on DSLR and a couple decent lenses to match, how much use will the Hasselblad see? On the other hand I like shooting with it.

Anyway, I didn't get a single response. A poster I trust suggested that my sample of the P45+ was a very good one (much better than the copy he had).

So I stayed with it and even bought another lens, the 100/3.5 Planar that I always wanted to have.

Next year we will see if it stay a favourite or will be an expensive dust collector. I honestly don't know.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Eric

Was your trip to the Dolomites?  I have wanted to get over there for years.
Weight does matter as you get older. I can remember when I used to try and carry everything :). Those days are gone.

I still backpack the tech kit but I carry only 2 lenses.  I have a Fuji XT-1 which I love and will carry it on all trips I carry the Phase One kit. This enables shots that I just could not get with the tech camera.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Theodoros

« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2014, 09:00:56 am »

I did offer my kit for sale (without any price suggested) on both GetDPI and here on LuLa. It was really in anticipation to 50 MP 24x36 expected early 2015. The question is really, once I have 50 MP on DSLR and a couple decent lenses to match, how much use will the Hasselblad see?

Best regards
Erik

Oh no! ...not another MP count conversation! ...please! Erik, I strongly suggest to post your "test" to Sony, as to explain to them that they should never develop their latest 12mp FF.... you've explained your criteria enough (some hundreds of times), dominating all posts, to all the rest of us! Thank you for enlightening us up and explain why we shouldn't buy a Leica S 007 (because its 6μm pixels are ...huge!), but surely, even you would understand that there is a limit in talking on a subject.... Your criteria is yours and is fully respected, others think different or use their equipment for different purposes than yours or may know better... You surely understand that you've past the (moral) limits on the amount of posts on the same subject.

Regards, Theodoros.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2014, 09:31:34 am »

Erik,

I think have heard that if you fly too often your back may lose pixels or even columns.
 I lost a column both on the P45+ and on the M8, and unfortunately both do not allow the user to remap.
 I Don't know how this translates to mountains, I think you know better than I do about atmospheric attenuation of the various forms of radiation that might harm a CCD. Of course, these imager designs originated in airborne and spaceborn sensors, but maybe those have much larger feature geometries.

I wonder if this is true, and how CMOS is affected. Of course most consumer cams can remap.

Edmund

Hi,

Next year we will see if it stay a favourite or will be an expensive dust collector. I honestly don't know.

Best regards
Erik

If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2014, 10:52:02 am »

Feel free to post on the "Fun with medium format" thread and let your images do the talking.

Nah...

... You surely understand that you've past the (moral) limits on the amount of posts on the same subject.

Dear Theodorosaurus Rex, by refusing to show us your pictures, it seems to me that you lost any moral ground to post on any subject. You see, forum credibility is typically established by either images or tech expertise. Your "expertise," however, seems to be in a verbal diarrhea against one person (Erik) and one company (Hasselblad).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:07:40 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Pics2

« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2014, 11:09:55 am »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2014, 11:16:35 am »

Hi Paul,

Very much off topic, but this whole thread is off topic, anyway…

Yes, I spend one to two weeks in the Dolomites each year. But I also fly to Austria and have been frequent flyer to Idaho in the US in work and want to go back. Iceland is another place I want to visit again.

I have firm plans to go on Hans Kruses "Dolomites East" workshop end september next year, and I would recommend Hans Kruse's workshops if you want to see the Dolomites. I was taking part in Dolomites West 2013, and it was very nice, but a bit strenuous. We started 4am each morning shooting till nine oclock, breakfast at the hotell, time off until 2 oclock (or was it twelve?), lessons until 4 pm and than off in the mountains again. Back around 9-10 pm, five course dinner and good local wine.

Cost, around 1200€ but you are half expected to come with a rental car. Other than that all inclusive. Actually, you can join the workshop two days early, you need to pay for the accommodation but Hans's time is free.

There are two workshops, Dolimites West is Rosengarten area and base is Welschnofen/Nova Levante. The East workshop is around Drei Zinnen/Tre Cime de Laveredo and is based in Pocol near Cortina. In 2015 there will be a combined workshop, too, half east half west.

In general, there will be no long hikes I guess. I would think < 2km and mostly significantly shorter. Altitude is around 2200 m.

On my trip we had a great team.

Sorry for the plug!

Technically, I carry the Hasselblad 555/ELD and P45+ and five lenses. Now I also have a Planar 100/3.5, making it six lenses, but I think about getting rid of the Planar 80/2.8 and the Distagon 50 and getting a Distagon 60 instead. But I need to do some testing and strength/weakness analysis to find out what works for me.

To that I add the Sony with 24-70/2.8 and 70-400/4-5.6 and either a Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6 or Sigma 10/3.5 fisheye. To that comes the tripod. So I end up with around 18 kg. For longer walks at altitude some things are left behind.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Eric

Was your trip to the Dolomites?  I have wanted to get over there for years.
Weight does matter as you get older. I can remember when I used to try and carry everything :). Those days are gone.

I still backpack the tech kit but I carry only 2 lenses.  I have a Fuji XT-1 which I love and will carry it on all trips I carry the Phase One kit. This enables shots that I just could not get with the tech camera.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 04:44:29 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2014, 11:32:42 am »

== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Pics2

« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2014, 11:42:13 am »

;)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2014, 11:53:34 am »

:-)

Thanks for explaining things, Slobodan. With my Scandinavian programming of mind it is a bit hard for me to follow what "theodoros" has on his mind

Best regards
Erik

Dear Theodorosaurus Rex, by refusing to show us your pictures, it seems to me that you lost any moral ground to post on any subject. You see, forum credibility is typically established by either images or tech expertise. Your "expertise", however, seems to be in a verbal diarrhea against one person (Erik) and one company (Hasselblad).
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2014, 11:54:39 am »

Erik Kaffehr

Pics2

« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2014, 12:27:57 pm »

Ok,ok, you've got me. Are you happy now?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2014, 12:37:54 pm »

Sunday morning sermon: why can't we all just get along?  :)

Chris Livsey

« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2014, 02:43:59 pm »

Theodoros

« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2014, 04:06:43 pm »

Sunday morning sermon: why can't we all just get along?  :)

It really depends on how you call people you don't know mr. Vlahojevic

[img]/Users/dascalos/Desktop/6_7_2014_11_40_49Allegoric1.jpg[img]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up