I don't think low res MF is coming back. First it's hard to sell an MF system with lower resolving power than a smaller format, and second it's not really a good idea. The low res MF backs are moire machines.
I find it quite interesting that many both say that they don't need many megapixels and that they don't want any AA filter. The main reason not to have an AA filter (except from simplifying in manufacturing) is to get more resolving power, ie get more out of the megapixels you got. You do that at the cost of aliasing issues like false colors and moire, which for nice finely patterned suit fabrics can be a real pain.
So if you don't need the resolution for your prints, it's still better for image quality to go higher resolution and put on an AA filter. Images that are a bit soft when you pixel peep can also be enlarged to huge billboard sizes without looking ugly up front, ie you don't see any traces of pixel structures or ugly upsizing fractal effects or whatever.
A problem currently is that pixels are deep, which means that the lower pixel pitch you got the closer to perpendicular the sensor needs its light to avoid color casts and crosstalk, which limits optical wide angle designs to strong retrofocus, a real problem for tech cameras today. The next breakthrough I'm waiting for is that large sensors get access to photodiode-at-the-surface pixel designs that already exists in mobile phone sensors and on some compacts. With that I would not mind grossly outresolving my lenses with the sensor -- no more false colors, no more moire.
However, for MF to keep it's attraction I think their best position to be at now is to strike the balance to have both more megapixels and sharper pixel peep pixels than smaller formats. Many talk about color and look, but I really think most are pixel peepers -- "wow, I get more resolution and pixels are still sharper". So we probably won't see any AA filters in MF cameras any time soon either, although that for
real image quality it would be an improvement.
Today I use aliasing as a sort of sharpness check with my digital back - if I don't see aliasing my image isn't sharp enough
