Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on new computer build for Photoshop, please!  (Read 48863 times)

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
Re: Advice on new computer build for Photoshop, please!
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 09:48:16 am »

Oh, forgot to say: for another $50 I could get the Asus Z87 Expert mobo, which includes Thunderbolt, unlike the Pro that's on my list.  I'd never even heard of Thunderbolt till a couple of days ago.  What do you think, is it something worth getting now?

I recently did a build with the P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT mobo. On sale it was the exact same price as the P8Z77-V PRO so i figured why not get the TB for free.

Well I have looked at the price of Thunderbolt hard drives and displays and I don't see myself using my TB port in the near future. If you are just becoming aware of TB then the chances are you don't have a need for it - so do NOT pay more for a board to have it.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 11:04:02 am by Philmar »

BrianWJH

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 07:17:00 pm »

I have only my os and installed programs on my c drive and it has 225gb on it.

Sharon

Hi Sharon, I assume you are running W7 or W8, if so then it's possible to move most of your programs and the system Users folder to another drive during initial install which can save some space on c:.

Once installed, moving the system Users folder is much more difficult however you can still install programs on another drive providing the programs offer drive install as a user selection.

Brian.

Tony Jay

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2014, 02:59:56 am »

Just today I moved all my LuLa video tutorial files to another drive from the boot drive - freed up 75 Gb on a 225 Gb SSD!!
Moral of the story is that it is likely that a lot of weighty files other than applications are taking up all the space.

Tony Jay

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2014, 08:06:45 am »

Just today I moved all my LuLa video tutorial files to another drive from the boot drive - freed up 75 Gb on a 225 Gb SSD!!
Moral of the story is that it is likely that a lot of weighty files other than applications are taking up all the space.

Tony Jay
Anyone buying or building a new computer should make sure to get a two (or more) drive system for just this reason.  Keep the main drive for the OS and main programs only and use the other drive(s) for storage and less frequently used programs.  Video files are usually very large as Tony points out and can fill up space rapidly.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 09:46:51 am »

That's what I found after learning here that my c drive shouldn't be so full. itunes stored my videos on the c drive. I have since moved them.

Sharon
Quite right.  Most if not all installed programs that download various files use the drive the program is installed on as the destination storage.  I wish that the developers would make it easier to configure where things should be stored when multiple drives are present.  Internet Browsers also need to be reset as well for where they download items.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2014, 10:23:42 am »

Quite right.  Most if not all installed programs that download various files use the drive the program is installed on as the destination storage.  I wish that the developers would make it easier to configure where things should be stored when multiple drives are present.  Internet Browsers also need to be reset as well for where they download items.

I'm going to interject a CAUTION for those with lesser experience... (not you Alan).   BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU DELETE OR MOVE FROM YOUR USERS DIRECTORY because if you don't know what you're doing it's very easy to delete something you, the computer, or a program needs to operate properly.  I can't count the number of times I've had to spend A LOT of time trying to find why a program wouldn't uninstall or a update wouldn't take, only to find out a client had been in the USERS directory trying to free up space.  You can easily delete something today, that will, be flushed from your recycle bin in a few weeks, that you'll finally discover you needed 5-6 weeks later when the latest update comes out or you try and uninstall a program.    So please be sure you really want to delete or move stuff.  How can you be sure?  Ask, or even Google it.. google the directory/folder/file name and learn what it is and what it does and then make a decision.

Okay, now that I've spoiled the fun how is one supposed to keep the C drive in check and not let it fill up with stuff better stored elsewhere?   First, realise it's not necessary to delete/move every single file that doesn't need to be there.  Even a file approaching a gigabyte but that grows slowly (browser cache/history) and can impact the speed with which your browser operates  should screened carefully to see if you really need to remove it.  For most of the files of this type.. not deleting them is the way to go.   What you want to delete/move are pockets of 5-100gb where  files are regularly being stored.   How to find them?  I've found a visual reference to how much room each folder takes up is the most useful tool for this task.   Check out WINDIRSTAT here.  It's free an works well enough.  Anyone know of such a program for Mac's?  By visually noticing a folder taking  up a ton of space you can quickly find out exactly how much and of what type of files..

----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2014, 10:30:09 am »

I use Lightroom and Elements and scan medium format films.    Image files are 200mb.  However, if I start getting drum scans, I could wind up with hundreds of mb's more.  What key element should I be concerned with?  

Note that I don't want to build my computer from scratch.  Just get one from known manaufacturer that allows selections.  Who would you recommend?

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2014, 12:42:04 pm »

I use Lightroom and Elements and scan medium format films.    Image files are 200mb.  However, if I start getting drum scans, I could wind up with hundreds of mb's more.  What key element should I be concerned with?  

Note that I don't want to build my computer from scratch.  Just get one from known manaufacturer that allows selections.  Who would you recommend?

1.  Laptop or desktop?

2.  What ports does your scanner connect to?

3.  Budget?

4.  What are you using now? (in terms of what kind of CPU, RAM, SSD or not, etc..)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 01:04:21 pm »

1. Want a Deskktop running windows, not Apple.
2. USB currently attached to my V600 Ep[son scanner.
3.  Computer around $1000 but can go higher if need too.  Plus a good new monitor for photo post processing. (reecommendations?)
4. Currently using   Dell XPS420  Tower
Operating System   Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded
Display
 ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT [Display adapter]
NEC 90GX2 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 6X117070GA, October 2006)
Bus Clock: 1333 megahertz
3070 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

I get a lot of running out of memory messages when I'm doing LR3 or Elements.  I recently bought LR5 to upgrade too. But haven't been able to install it as I'm running Vista and you need Winmdows 7 minimum.  But LR3 does work and I'm able to do the adjustments.  Obviousoly, I don't want to have those alerts any more and allow for processing expansion.

Thanks

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 08:02:29 pm »

1. Want a Deskktop running windows, not Apple.
2. USB currently attached to my V600 Ep[son scanner.
3.  Computer around $1000 but can go higher if need too.  Plus a good new monitor for photo post processing. (reecommendations?)
4. Currently using   Dell XPS420  Tower
Operating System   Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded
Display
 ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT [Display adapter]
NEC 90GX2 [Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n 6X117070GA, October 2006)
Bus Clock: 1333 megahertz
3070 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Thanks

Alan -

I can see why you're having your out of memory errors and would be generally unhappy with the performance of modern software.  Your system is roughly 6-7 years old?  Or you caught a sale 4-5 years ago?

I won't recommend a pre-built system, but I'll recommend what specifications to look for in order of importance as related to your budget.  If you've been happy with Dell and are familiar with their customer service protocol I see no reason to go elsewhere.

1.  Ideally a Haswell 4770 or 4771 CPU should serve you well, and the 4771 could save you $30-$40 but won't allow over clocking.   Another option would be a one generation older Ivy Bridge 3770 but only if you get significant savings.

2.   Look for a bare minimum of 8gb of RAM, preferably 16gb.  OEM's charge a lot for RAM upgrades so consider buying the bare minimum RAM from the OEM and upgrading it yourself.  We can talk you thought this and it's the most easy consumer upgrade.   People will echo the 16gb level and I'd agree, but if money is tight go for 8gb and upgrade later if you feel limited.

3.  Virtually any system you buy will run your current scanner but look for USB3.0 as an useful upgrade.

4.   You should get at least three drives.  An inexpensive DVD/R/RW drive for loading programs, a 256gb SSD (don't skimp here, but this the second most easy consumer upgrade and we can walk you through it as well) for your programs and operating system, and a 3 or 4tb Western Digital 4tb Black hard drive for your data storage.   If you have more requirements than this, or more money, tell us and we can improve on this area.

5.   Windows 7 Home Premium will also work great for you.  Don't be tempted by a touch screen desktop.. but Windows 8.1 might be okay.

6.  For a monitor go look hard at the NEC PA224A or newer.  It's a PA241w as a superb upgrade to your current NEC.   You might even want to consider a PA272w if your budget allows because bigger monitors be helpful and more comfortable.

The rest of the bells and whistles they list are of marginal value, just look for these main items and the rest will configure itself..

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 09:06:42 pm »

Thanks Steve.  A couple of follow ups.  Does Dell handle Haswell? 

What about video/display driver card?  Does the cpu handle that now?  Years ago it was a big requirement hence my Radeon card.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 09:24:20 pm »

Steve:  I checked Dell and came up with this.  What do you think?  It comes with Windows 8 but I bel;ieve tghey will provide 7 if I want.  WHich one?  What about the other stuff?
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd?oc=fdcwgx320&model_id=xps-8700

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2014, 09:28:23 pm »

They also have a $50 option to upgrade from NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 645 1.0GB GDDR5 to NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 650 Ti 1.0GB GDDR5

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2014, 10:22:13 pm »

Looks like they updated the 241 to a 242.  What do you think?
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa242w-bk-sv

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2014, 10:52:58 pm »

Thanks Steve.  A couple of follow ups.  Does Dell handle Haswell? 

What about video/display driver card?  Does the cpu handle that now?  Years ago it was a big requirement hence my Radeon card.

Yes they do.  And for your uses a discrete video card is optional, otherwise the one built into the CPU will work fine for you.  And if it doesn't you can add later when more convenient.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2014, 10:56:36 pm »

Looks like they updated the 241 to a 242.  What do you think?
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa242w-bk-sv

The 242 is a great monitor.. but about $200 cheaper on B&H when you add it to your cart.  But, if you don't have the SVII colorimeter and software look at the entire package to save a bit.  Also check out provantage.com  for good prices on NEC monitors.

Philmar

• Office drone by day - Photoenthusiast on weekends
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/phil_marion/albums
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2014, 11:05:35 am »

Tony Jay

Old LR catalogue backups may be another drive hog. LR doesn't automatically delete previous backups.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2014, 10:04:44 am »

I see there's another thread about 4k monitors.  What do you think?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2014, 11:14:05 am »

OK, so I ordered a Dell with the Intel 4th Gen Intel Core i7-4770 processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz), 24GB memory, AMD Radeon(TM) HD R9 270 2GB GDDR5 and 2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s + 256GB SSD and Windows 8.1.

I don't understand the difference and how much more help there is with the 256GB SSD on top of the 24GB memory.  Can somneone describe what the 256GB is doing as that's all new to me?

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2014, 12:08:12 pm »

OK, so I ordered a Dell with the Intel 4th Gen Intel Core i7-4770 processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz), 24GB memory, AMD Radeon(TM) HD R9 270 2GB GDDR5 and 2TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s + 256GB SSD and Windows 8.1.

I don't understand the difference and how much more help there is with the 256GB SSD on top of the 24GB memory.  Can somneone describe what the 256GB is doing as that's all new to me?

The system memory (24gb) is different that the flash storage (ssd)  The short story is the ssd is a faster 'Hard drive"  than the 2tb drives in your system.

Here is a good primer.

http://www.storagereview.com/ssd_vs_hdd
Craig Lamson Photo
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up