With good profiles, a good coated stock will get you close IF you coat the 777.
For me, I coat with Clearjet LL (or whatever the right Clear Star liquid canvas coating is!). You can get coatings that run from gloss to matt and you can always blend to get in between. I use the Semi-gloss, one step below the gloss.
Several reasons for coating include sealing and protection of the pigments from moisture and gasses, adding flexibility for stretching, adding protection from abrasion during framing, and most importantly, adds richness and depth that uncoated canvas just can't give you.
I coat using a Daige EZ-Glide when i do production, otherwise I use a roller. Sometimes I lucky and can do a single coating, otherwise plan on two lighter coats, letting the canvas dry for an hour or so.
In the past year, I've printed nearly 700 prints on the 777 with better than 90% great results on the finished product. The rest succumbed from blocked nozzles and a few with bad technique in coating.
A key to good results is simply practice the craft and learn from your problems.
Another solution to testing is simply gang a few smaller images on a linear foot or two of material, then coat it. If it looks good there, then run your larger pieces. It slows you down and you can look at your testing with fresh eyes if you let it sit a day to dry, coat it and let it sit another day. Fresh eyes find the issue!
HTH,