Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR develop settings  (Read 2251 times)

john3lee

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • john wheatley photography
LR develop settings
« on: November 14, 2010, 11:17:34 am »

I'm curious to know where the develop settings are stored. Is it in the catalogue?
The reason I ask, if i delete from the library, (but not delete from the HD).......
Then look at the images in preview, the edited images still retain the developed settings.
I would have thought removing from LR, would have lost the editing, or have I got that wrong?
I convert everything from CR2 to DNG, and just wanted to see if the setting were imbedded into the DNG file?
Thanks in advance.... best wishes from a cold damp south west England.
Logged

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
Re: LR develop settings
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 03:34:28 pm »

Hi,

I'd suggest that the development settings are stored both in the library and the DNG-files. There is an option to keep files and library synchronized. This opt may slow down Lightroom so it's often disabled.

I'd recommend the Reichmann & Schewe video, it pretty much explains everything.

Best regards
Erik

I'm curious to know where the develop settings are stored. Is it in the catalogue?
The reason I ask, if i delete from the library, (but not delete from the HD).......
Then look at the images in preview, the edited images still retain the developed settings.
I would have thought removing from LR, would have lost the editing, or have I got that wrong?
I convert everything from CR2 to DNG, and just wanted to see if the setting were imbedded into the DNG file?
Thanks in advance.... best wishes from a cold damp south west England.

Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

john3lee

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • john wheatley photography
Re: LR develop settings
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 03:53:48 pm »

Thanks for the information Erik
I'll take a look at those settings.
I am aware that the DNG files re wrap the raw file, and so dispenses with the need for the separate side car metadata.
But, I'm not sure what other data is imbedded in there as well.
I tried a google search, but its difficult to define a search to reveal what I was asking.
Although a new to the forums I have been following LL since way back in the days, and found it be a very generous pool of information.
Thanks again, best regards john
Logged

Schewe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6231
    • http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: LR develop settings
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 03:57:18 pm »

I'm curious to know where the develop settings are stored. Is it in the catalogue?

Unless you have your Lightroom preferences set to automatically write the xmp metadata to the files (or unless you actually save the settings to the file) the only place the settings are normally stored is in the catalog database...
Logged

john3lee

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • john wheatley photography
Re: LR develop settings
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 04:20:49 pm »

Thanks for your input Schewe
I have just checked, and i have the metadata settings to include develop settings inside the jpeg, tiff, psd files.
I assume if i had not had that set, i would be reliant on catalogue to store this information?
Thanks for all the help, and support.... john
Logged

Schewe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6231
    • http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: LR develop settings
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 04:44:02 pm »

I assume if i had not had that set, i would be reliant on catalogue to store this information?

Correct...and to a certain degree, only storing the settings and other metadata (ranking, ratings & keywords) inside the database ONLY means you really trust the Lightroom way (and the Lightroom backups). If you routinely bounce between Lightroom and other apps such as Camera Raw/Photoshop/Bridge or other 3rd party apps, automatically writing the metadata to the files makes sense. I tend to work in Lightroom without the auto write metadata off and take if image by image and folder by folder whether or not I want to save the metadata back to the file vs only keeping the settings in the database. And yes, there are times where I've been bitten by my choice, but as long as I'm paying attention to what I'm doing I do tend to trust the database approach.
Logged

john3lee

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • john wheatley photography
Re: LR develop settings
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 05:15:58 pm »

I think I'm understanding the way it works now. So, thanks again.
Incidentally, did you used to ride a big motorbike coast to coast across the USA to go to photo workshops, and keep a blog a few years back ?

Another thing.... I tried unsuccessfully to change my Facebook status to announce that i was in a relationship with Lightroom (I love it so much).
But FB will not allow me to be in a relationship unless they are in my friends list  ;D
Logged

Schewe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6231
    • http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: LR develop settings
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 06:55:04 pm »

Incidentally, did you used to ride a big motorbike coast to coast across the USA to go to photo workshops, and keep a blog a few years back ?

Yep...if by big you mean a BMW R1100GS bike (pretty big but not a Goldwing).

As far as Facebook is concerned, sorry I don't do Facebook...

:~)
Logged

john3lee

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9
    • john wheatley photography
Re: LR develop settings
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 06:59:43 pm »

Arh ha... It's good to put a face to your name.....
All the very best, and thanks again :beer: & cheers.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up