Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 3: converting from 2003 to 2010 process  (Read 3280 times)

nemophoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1037
    • Nemo Niemann Photography
Lightroom 3: converting from 2003 to 2010 process
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:18:27 pm »

I was working on some images for a client, shot with the 1D3. I had previously worked on the job with Lightroom 2.7 a few months ago, and they needed additional images. When I opened an image in Develop, Lightroom asked me if I wanted to convert to 2010 process. I thought, "Sure. Why not?". I was suprised to see noticeably less detail and sharpness in the shot with default settings.

Has anyone else noticed this? I was surprised and am thinking of working on the images in Bibble or Capture One 5 instead to compare. Additionally, though there was less sharpness and detail, I found there to be more moire in the fabric.

Nemo
Logged

colinb

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 47
Lightroom 3: converting from 2003 to 2010 process
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 05:35:38 pm »

I'm far from certain, but perhaps this may offer some insight?

Quote from: nemophoto
I was working on some images for a client, shot with the 1D3. I had previously worked on the job with Lightroom 2.7 a few months ago, and they needed additional images. When I opened an image in Develop, Lightroom asked me if I wanted to convert to 2010 process. I thought, "Sure. Why not?". I was suprised to see noticeably less detail and sharpness in the shot with default settings.

Has anyone else noticed this? I was surprised and am thinking of working on the images in Bibble or Capture One 5 instead to compare. Additionally, though there was less sharpness and detail, I found there to be more moire in the fabric.

Nemo
Logged

madmanchan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2115
    • Web
Lightroom 3: converting from 2003 to 2010 process
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 12:24:49 am »

Nemo, if you switch this image back to Process 2003 (you can do this in the Calibration tab), does it become sharper again?
Logged
Eric Chan

glenerrolrd

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 65
Lightroom 3: converting from 2003 to 2010 process
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 06:32:32 am »

Quote from: madmanchan
Nemo, if you switch this image back to Process 2003 (you can do this in the Calibration tab), does it become sharper again?


Eric

I noticed this as well when reworking an older file originally processed in LR2.   I could switch back and forth and see the shift.  What I can not remember is whether I reset the process.  So I am uncertain if I had Lr2 develop adjustments in play to confuse the issue.  M8 DNG .

To be clear the 2003 process was sharper.

Roger
Logged

madmanchan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2115
    • Web
Lightroom 3: converting from 2003 to 2010 process
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:44:57 am »

Hi Roger, I am concerned to hear that. It is possible that for a given set of sharpening settings (i.e., slider values), simply toggling from 2003 to 2010 won't produce the best results. That is, you may have to adjust the slider values in 2010, particularly if you're using a Radius value in the 0.5 to 1 range.

Also, please check your noise reduction settings (assuming you have them enabled in the first place).
Logged
Eric Chan

nemophoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1037
    • Nemo Niemann Photography
Lightroom 3: converting from 2003 to 2010 process
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:25:35 am »

Quote from: madmanchan
Nemo, if you switch this image back to Process 2003 (you can do this in the Calibration tab), does it become sharper again?

Hi Eric

Yes you see the difference going back and forth between the two process modes, and yet it has no effect on fabric moire. I actually ended up working on the RAW images in Canon DPP, though my demo of DxO was pretty good as well. I'm very distressed to see the difference in the sharpness because of what might be a change in the decoding of the Bayer pattern.

Nemo
Logged

madmanchan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2115
    • Web
Lightroom 3: converting from 2003 to 2010 process
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 08:08:05 pm »

Nemo, if anything, the demosaicing algorithm in LR 3 should be making your images sharper, not softer. If you have an image (specifically, the .CR2 raw file) you don't mind sharing with me, I'd be happy to study it and see if there's something we're doing wrong, or at least make some recommendations about image settings. You can use YouSendIt.com with a target email address of [email protected], if you're interested. Thanks.
Logged
Eric Chan

jenbenn

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 69
    • http://
Lightroom 3: converting from 2003 to 2010 process
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 03:39:06 am »

Quote from: madmanchan
Hi Roger, I am concerned to hear that. It is possible that for a given set of sharpening settings (i.e., slider values), simply toggling from 2003 to 2010 won't produce the best results. That is, you may have to adjust the slider values in 2010, particularly if you're using a Radius value in the 0.5 to 1 range.

Also, please check your noise reduction settings (assuming you have them enabled in the first place).

I noticed this phenomenon, as you said, when the sharpening raduis is below 1. In the 2003 process best sharpening results were achieved with a radius between 0.5 and 0.8. With 2010 I need to use 1-1.2 to get sharp results.  I havent yet investigated if the increased radius leads to white /black lines around contrast edges, but I will pay close attention to that while I keep working with LR3
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up