What I observe is trends if not hypes and a diversification of the products.
Products mostly appear on the market due to customer requests and their wishes can be based on more than the limitations of the existing media.
The switch to new media isn't happening for the first time. New media, even if the surface represents an older analogue process.
Fiber-Baryta has limitations too, the surface is often delicate, in printing and afterwards. Curl can be an issue.
I see stretched canvas use going backwards, it has been a bit of a hype.
Some interest in smooth canvas mounted on panels growing.
There's a niche group experimenting with uncoated art papers.
Providers of Diasec (or similar processes) growing.
A trend to more complicated products like books, leporrelos and with that a search for dual coated papers or acceptable printing offset papers.
There is still a lot of matte paper printing going on.
Not that I do all that but I get the signals in lists like this one and what customers ask, what printshops owners tell me.
I recall the experience when I was still heavily in silkscreen printing. New Pantone colors added to the existing patches were much more often selected in the first years after their introduction than the older ones in the same category. Pantone didn't invent them, there were no limitations before to print them, not to mention the inability to really match the samples in printing at that time. Their main quality was that they were NEW! and Pantone understood that human desire.
Isn't it a miracle that we can print on so many different substrates, relatively easy and with few limitations?
met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla
Try:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/