Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Joshua Tree National Park photo locations???  (Read 21345 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Joshua Tree National Park photo locations???
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:13:13 pm »

I am going to try to squeeze in a stop at Joshua Tree on a trek through the west. I will be going from Death Valley, to the Alabama Hills in Lone Pine (California), down the Joshua Tree for two days, then on up to locations north of San Francisco for several days.

1. Is it stupid to swing down as far south as Joshua Tree for a two night stay? Keeping in mind that doing so will allow less time in the other areas.

2. Where would I find boulders in Joshua Tree like the ones shown in the attached photo (taken by Quang-Tuan Luong)?

Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Paul Sumi

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 02:48:02 pm »

Quote from: bellimages
I am going to try to squeeze in a stop at Joshua Tree on a trek through the west. I will be going from Death Valley, to the Alabama Hills in Lone Pine (California), down the Joshua Tree for two days, then on up to locations north of San Francisco for several days.

1. Is it stupid to swing down as far south as Joshua Tree for a two night stay? Keeping in mind that doing so will allow less time in the other areas.

2. Where would I find boulders in Joshua Tree like the ones shown in the attached photo (taken by Quang-Tuan Luong)?

I'm assuming you're driving to all California destinations.  What time of the year are you visiting?  This affects your driving options (more restricted in winter/early spring).

Since you mention Death Valley first, I am guessing that you are flying into Las Vegas and driving to DV from there?

Joshua Tree is quite far south from the Lone Pine area, about 5-7 hours driving.  It puts you one pretty long day (probably 10+ hours driving) on the road getting to the San Francisco bay area.

If the boulders at Joshua Tree are your primary attraction, IMO the Alabama Hills are similar.  And if you are visiting the eastern Sierra for the first time, there's a lot more to see and photograph.

If you can give more details it would be helpful.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:20:30 pm by PaulS »

Camboman

• http://www.pbase.com/camboman
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 05:13:57 pm »

1. Only you can answer that question, but Joshua Tree is full of great landscape opportunities.

2. The Jumbo Rocks Campground area.

Have a great trip!

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 05:50:09 pm »

One of the surprising things in Joshua Tree is Keys Ranch.  You must go there with a ranger.  It is a 1900s working ranch which is not used any more.  Very cool area with lots of old stuff.  You will enjoy Joshua Tree.

kwalsh

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 05:50:43 pm »

I kind of think a trek down to Joshua Tree is silly.  The number of photo opportunities in Death Valley alone is insurmountable in a month's travels there let alone a few days.  As someone else pointed out if you are into weathered granite then the Alabama Hills is far more impressive than Joshua Tree - better backdrops for one thing.  Another small secret, the actual Joshua trees themselves suck in Joshua Tree National Park.  I know that is counter intuitive.  But they have been impacted by theft in the early part of the century and then fire.  They are really a pathetic collection in my opinion.  Cima Dome in Mojave National Preserve is far more extensive and larger and just a two hour drive out the south end of Death Valley.  Lee Flat on the western edge of Death Valley is also far more impressive than anything in JTree as far as actual examples of Joshua Trees go and you'll drive within just a few miles of it as you go from Death Valley to the Alabama hills.  Heck, even U2 didn't go to JTNP for their famous photo of its namesake tree.  On your mad dash down to JTree from DV you are going to breeze pass a number of locations I'd prefer to stop at for the "golden hour" rather than be in JTNP - such as Saratoga Springs, Ibex Dunes, Dumont Dunes, Cima Dome, Kelso Dunes, Amboy Crater just to name a few.  You could spend three days stopping at better places to take pictures before you even got to JTree from Shoshone.

Really, of course, only you can make the decision, but as someone who has spent a lot of time out in those parts I would strongly recommend you spend less time driving and more time up in the DVNP area.  When I visit DVNP I dedicate a week to just *part* of the park - this year it was the NW sector, last year the southern part, other years just the west central.  Heck you could easily spend 6 sunrises and sunsets just within 1 hour's driving of the hotels at Furnace Creek.  The Owens Valley is just a whole wonderland unto itself, and you'll be driving through that as well.

Anyway, you may have gathered I have a strong opinion .  Don't let me steer you too hard.  But really, JTree is most awesome if you are a rock climber in the LA basin or a photographer in the LA basin and it is spring wildflower time at the JTree elevations.  Yes, there are some neato rocks but I really, really, really think your time would be better spent up in DVNP and the Owens Valley rather than burning time and rubber on the 14 hr. round trip down to JTree.  And if you want to do something on the southern end of DV near Baker give Mojave National Preserve a good look.

Hope that proves to be at least slightly helpful!

Ken

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 07:54:45 pm »

I have to agree with most everybody's replies.... the Alabama Hills over shadows Joshua Tree as far as boulders go and the whole area has more to shoot than you can imagine. Save yourself the time and stay in the primary area.

bellimages

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 10:34:33 am »

Quote from: kwalsh
I kind of think a trek down to Joshua Tree is silly.  The number of photo opportunities in Death Valley alone is insurmountable in a month's travels there let alone a few days.  As someone else pointed out if you are into weathered granite then the Alabama Hills is far more impressive than Joshua Tree - better backdrops for one thing.  Another small secret, the actual Joshua trees themselves suck in Joshua Tree National Park.  I know that is counter intuitive.  But they have been impacted by theft in the early part of the century and then fire.  They are really a pathetic collection in my opinion.  Cima Dome in Mojave National Preserve is far more extensive and larger and just a two hour drive out the south end of Death Valley.  Lee Flat on the western edge of Death Valley is also far more impressive than anything in JTree as far as actual examples of Joshua Trees go and you'll drive within just a few miles of it as you go from Death Valley to the Alabama hills.  Heck, even U2 didn't go to JTNP for their famous photo of its namesake tree.  On your mad dash down to JTree from DV you are going to breeze pass a number of locations I'd prefer to stop at for the "golden hour" rather than be in JTNP - such as Saratoga Springs, Ibex Dunes, Dumont Dunes, Cima Dome, Kelso Dunes, Amboy Crater just to name a few.  You could spend three days stopping at better places to take pictures before you even got to JTree from Shoshone.

Really, of course, only you can make the decision, but as someone who has spent a lot of time out in those parts I would strongly recommend you spend less time driving and more time up in the DVNP area.  When I visit DVNP I dedicate a week to just *part* of the park - this year it was the NW sector, last year the southern part, other years just the west central.  Heck you could easily spend 6 sunrises and sunsets just within 1 hour's driving of the hotels at Furnace Creek.  The Owens Valley is just a whole wonderland unto itself, and you'll be driving through that as well.

Anyway, you may have gathered I have a strong opinion .  Don't let me steer you too hard.  But really, JTree is most awesome if you are a rock climber in the LA basin or a photographer in the LA basin and it is spring wildflower time at the JTree elevations.  Yes, there are some neato rocks but I really, really, really think your time would be better spent up in DVNP and the Owens Valley rather than burning time and rubber on the 14 hr. round trip down to JTree.  And if you want to do something on the southern end of DV near Baker give Mojave National Preserve a good look.

Hope that proves to be at least slightly helpful!

Ken

Ken, thanks for your thoughts. It's EXACTLY what I hoped to hear. The drive to JT would definitely take a couple of days of precious time .... and take a lot of gas. I only wanted to go if I read that it's a "one of a kind" place. I sort of doubted that it would be, since there are so many beautiful desert parks in the southwest.

I spent five days in Death Valley in the fall of 2007. I really didn't care for the place visually. But, I got some of the very best images of my life (see attached photo). And on that same trip, I spent two days in the Alabama Hills and got some great work (again, see attached photo). So spending more time in each location won't be a problem. And, I'll make the side trip to Mojave. Since I haven't been there there, can anyone suggest places to go .... to avoid a lot of wasted time. Hopefully seeing my photographic style will help you suggest areas to photograph.

I know nothing of these areas -- Saratoga Springs, Ibex Dunes, Dumont Dunes, Cima Dome, Kelso Dunes, Amboy Crater. So any information on them would be appreciated.

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 12:36:04 am »

Ken, thanks for your thoughts. It's EXACTLY what I hoped to hear. The drive to JT would definitely take a couple of days of precious time .... and take a lot of gas. I only wanted to go if I read that it's a "one of a kind" place. I sort of doubted that it would be, since there are so many beautiful desert parks in the southwest.

I spent five days in Death Valley in the fall of 2007. I really didn't care for the place visually. But, I got some of the very best images of my life (see attached photo). And on that same trip, I spent two days in the Alabama Hills and got some great work (again, see attached photo). So spending more time in each location won't be a problem. And, I'll make the side trip to Mojave. Since I haven't been there there, can anyone suggest places to go .... to avoid a lot of wasted time. Hopefully seeing my photographic style will help you suggest areas to photograph.

I know nothing of these areas -- Saratoga Springs, Ibex Dunes, Dumont Dunes, Cima Dome, Kelso Dunes, Amboy Crater. So any information on them would be appreciated.
Those are very nice, the second one is very amazing.  Kudo's to you.  I hope you shot that so it could go big.  Tim

bellimages

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 03:18:47 pm »

Quote from: tim wolcott
Those are very nice, the second one is very amazing.  Kudo's to you.  I hope you shot that so it could go big.  Tim
Tim .... these areas must be around you .......Saratoga Springs, Ibex Dunes, Dumont Dunes, Cima Dome, Kelso Dunes, Amboy Crater. What can you tell me about them. Based on the two photos that I attached in the last post, do you think that they would be good locations???

BradSmith

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 10:41:38 pm »

Tim .... these areas must be around you .......Saratoga Springs, Ibex Dunes, Dumont Dunes, Cima Dome, Kelso Dunes, Amboy Crater. What can you tell me about them. Based on the two photos that I attached in the last post, do you think that they would be good locations???

I'm only familiar with Kelso Dunes.  I was there once at sunrise and was the only person.  It is huge.  You park about a half mile from the area where the scrub brush ends and then you're into open, unbroken sand.  As I remember, highest dune is 700 ft.  Far, far higher than I tried to get.   Haven't been to other dune areas, so I can't help by comparison.

richard laughlin

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 06:14:59 pm »

I am going to try to squeeze in a stop at Joshua Tree on a trek through the west. ....

big rocks are scouted by those into 'bouldering' (climbing without rope) almost every time I locate a great set of rocks in JT area (places close to those LoCal folks) I find them already there... they throw out sleeping bags under the big rock just waiting for light..[. and no, they never offer to haul me and my camera to the top... ]

but this starter at Utube will show you many 'rocks'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZr489bfumA

kelso dunes is a great spot.. big and usually empty... agree with the response above...

rl

Greg Campbell

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 08:01:33 pm »

Ken nailed it, IMO.  Too much driving for too little return.  

Keep in mind that DV will be bloody hot in June/July.  The park has lots of neat stuff you can hike to - hidden slot canyons, funky ruins, etc., but visiting them in the dead of summer is just not practical, IMO.

About all I know of the destinations you list is that they are located deep in the Mojave National Preserve or nearby desert.  Summer temps in this region are only slightly lower than Death Valley proper.  115 to 120F in nearby Baker is not at all unusual. http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliF30.pl?ca0436

I'd gently suggest you stick to the higher elevations in and around Owens Valley, and up in the Panamint, White, and Inyo Mountain ranges.  If camping in DV, head for the Wildrose and Thorndike campgrounds, located in the Panamint Mountains.  Trying to sleep on the valley floor in a 100 degree hurricane is not fun.

FWIW, here's my list of 'one-of-a-kind' locations in the general area that I've visited and can certify as 'photogenic':  Stovepipe Dunes at 3AM, Titus Canyon drive (Somewhat dicey mid summer.  Better get up early and let a ranger know you're going and that you will check back), Zabriskie Pt. to Golden Canyon hike, Wildrose Canyon, Charcoal Kilns, Augereburry Point, Skidoo ghost town, Darwin Falls, Father Crowley Point (rugged mountains along 190 W. of Panamint Valley), Alabama Hills, hike from Whitney Portal to one of the pretty lakes above, Manzanar (be sure to drive around the site), Eastern California Museum in Independence, Onion Valley Road,  Mazourka Canyon Road, 168 east from Big Pine, headed for ... Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest, Mammoth Mountain tram to the top, Devil's Postpile, Convict Lake, Mono Lake, Panum Crater, Lee Vining Canyon (should be open for some distance, even if Tioga is still snowed up), Bodie.

FWIW!  

tim wolcott

• http://www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 09:36:07 pm »

Yes they are not to far.  If it has sand I probably have been there.  But I'm looking for areas that have very unique structure to them.  Most dunes are nice but either face the wrong way or are not tall enough to drop out the background or have a background that makes it very nice to have in the scene.  I have traveled for the past 20 plus years photographing dunes and its unique features.  I could give you a million places to go.  Why don't you take a look at my website at www.galleryoftheamericanlandscape.com and click on symplicity collection.  If something strikes you, call me and I can go over where it was shot and the time of day.

With all the rain and snow we are getting this will be the year to shoot California It will be amazing and I'm planning on shooting alot and doing some workshops.

I posted some images of other things you will see, based on the timing and the weather.

B the way sorry for the delay.  This is the first day of being opened at the gallery in 2 weeks.  Been digging out of snow.  Hope this helps Tim Wolcott 9098789214

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:45:12 pm by tim wolcott »

haefnerphoto

• http://www.jameshaefner.com
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 10:58:28 pm »

Jan, I've shot in the Amboy area, as well as, Ibex Dunes, Dumont Dunes and Kelso Dunes.  There's plenty at each location to shoot.  Ibex Dunes is probably an hour off the highway but there's some interesting salt deposit areas on the way in to visit too.  I used to shoot the eastern side before it was made part of Death Valley so I don't know how the western side lights.  Dumont Dunes is an off road vehicle area and quite busy on weekends and all tracked up if there's no wind.  Kelso Dunes is 30-40 minutes south of Baker and can't be driven on so it might be the best place to shoot.  There's also an old train station that I believe has been made into a ranger headquarters near by.  I believe camping is permitted.  Amboy Crater is interesting but be careful not to enter the military training area, I once got caught after sunset in the middle of night manuvers.  It could have been a problem.  But if you're as far south as Amboy you're just an hour or so from Joshua Tree.  Other interesting areas are the dry lake beds south of Dumont Dunes and then to the west, the Trona Pinnacles.  I also recommend the White Mountains north and east of Lone Pine.  Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up