Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New York City  (Read 8256 times)

PhillyPhotographer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 334
New York City
« on: November 30, 2009, 09:02:01 pm »

Some of my New York City photography.













RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
New York City
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:02:13 pm »

Michael, Good work -- all of it. Especially numbers 3 and 4. Someone's almost surely going to tell you that you should crop the center out of number 3 in order to focus more on the people. Don't believe it. I'm no fan of square formats, but this one fits. The context makes the picture. Bravo!
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 18209
  • When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
New York City
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:24:35 pm »

Excellent work!

Josh-H

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2086
    • Wild Nature Photo Travel
New York City
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:34:11 pm »

Excellent work.
Logged
Wild Nature Photo Travel

wolfnowl

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5824
    • M&M's Musings
New York City
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:48:19 am »

Really well done...

Mike.
Logged
If your mind is attuned t

Ed Blagden

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 502
New York City
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 03:32:28 am »

I think #1 is outstanding.  A lucky shot I guess, but then again fortune favours the prepared mind.  I like #5 too (The Beautiful Life).  I can't make up my mind about #7 (the guy in front of the clothing stall).  On the one hand it breaks all the rules about subject isolation, and it is way too busy.  But on the other hand I keep wanting to look at it so I guess it must be good!

Ed



Logged

geotzo

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 231
    • http://www.georgetzortzis.com
New York City
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 06:03:37 am »

Quote from: Ed B
I think #1 is outstanding.  A lucky shot I guess, but then again fortune favours the prepared mind.  I like #5 too (The Beautiful Life).  I can't make up my mind about #7 (the guy in front of the clothing stall).  On the one hand it breaks all the rules about subject isolation, and it is way too busy.  But on the other hand I keep wanting to look at it so I guess it must be good!

Ed
Classic, Inspiring. Very nicely done, I'd like to see more of it
George
Logged

PhillyPhotographer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 334
New York City
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 09:44:01 am »

Quote from: Ed B
I think #1 is outstanding.  A lucky shot I guess, but then again fortune favours the prepared mind.  I like #5 too (The Beautiful Life).  I can't make up my mind about #7 (the guy in front of the clothing stall).  On the one hand it breaks all the rules about subject isolation, and it is way too busy.  But on the other hand I keep wanting to look at it so I guess it must be good!

Ed

The title for #7 is "Urban Camouflage"

Randy Carone

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 634
New York City
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 09:46:36 am »

Philly,

Nice work, as usual, and once again the square format works well.
Logged
Randy Carone

PhillyPhotographer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 334
New York City
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:53:10 am »

Quote from: Randy Carone
Philly,

Nice work, as usual, and once again the square format works well.

Thanks !

Also #3 has been spotted since I posted the photo.

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
New York City
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 11:04:23 am »

I don't see any luck in these photos, just some superb work!

JMR
Logged

cmi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 492
New York City
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 12:34:25 pm »

I knew before clicking that it had to be good

Wow.
Logged

Colorwave

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1006
    • Colorwave Imaging
New York City
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 03:39:57 pm »

Great work, as always from you.  How did you pull off the DOF on the first shot?  Were you set up for a bird in the frame and tossing bread crumbs in the air, or just quick with the shutter?
Logged
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

PhillyPhotographer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 334
New York City
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 03:59:51 pm »

Quote from: Colorwave
Great work, as always from you.  How did you pull off the DOF on the first shot?  Were you set up for a bird in the frame and tossing bread crumbs in the air, or just quick with the shutter?

I had the lens prefocused and just waited. There were birds sitting on the lower observation deck of Rockefeller Center ( I was on the top level) and every time someone would walk by they would fly away and then comeback . Since they followed the same pattern I was able to setup the shot, it took 10 tries to get this shot.

f/9
1/250
EV -.33
ISO 400
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:02:52 pm by PhillyPhotographer »
Logged

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
New York City
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 05:00:04 pm »

Quote from: Ed B
I think #1 is outstanding.  A lucky shot I guess, but then again fortune favours the prepared mind.  I like #5 too (The Beautiful Life).  I can't make up my mind about #7 (the guy in front of the clothing stall).  On the one hand it breaks all the rules about subject isolation, and it is way too busy.  But on the other hand I keep wanting to look at it so I guess it must be good!

Ed

Ed, It's busy, but check HCB's "Plasterers." Same kind of thing. It looks too busy but you keep looking at it anyway.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Ed Blagden

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 502
New York City
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2009, 02:55:56 am »

Quote from: PhillyPhotographer
I had the lens prefocused and just waited. There were birds sitting on the lower observation deck of Rockefeller Center ( I was on the top level) and every time someone would walk by they would fly away and then comeback . Since they followed the same pattern I was able to setup the shot, it took 10 tries to get this shot.

f/9
1/250
EV -.33
ISO 400

I take it all back, I mean about the luck.  A great shot.
Logged

Ed Blagden

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 502
New York City
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 03:11:18 am »

Quote from: RSL
Ed, It's busy, but check HCB's "Plasterers." Same kind of thing. It looks too busy but you keep looking at it anyway.
Russ, yes I looked at that on the Magnum website.  I agree - it just works.  Looking at his other images, it is interesting how often he breaks the rules.
Logged

popnfresh

  • Guest
New York City
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 12:19:45 pm »

I love all of them. Of all the sets you've posted here, I think this is my favorite.
Logged

usathyan

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 187
    • http://www.umeshbhatt.com/
New York City
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 01:28:29 pm »

I Love #1, #3 and $5. The last image is over sharpened (lucis grungy) to my taste....
Logged
--------------
Umesh Bhatt [url=http://w

Bartie

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 32
    • http://
New York City
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 01:43:55 pm »

Fantastic set of images .I`m off to NY mid January and these images have inspired me.

Regards  Andy
Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up