The lighting on the first one is pretty soft. On days like this I'll try to wait for the sun to break through a little stronger or if nothing else bump up the contrast in post. This shot also would have been stronger 30 minutes earlier when the left (west?) face was more in shadow... giving the architecture greater definition. Moving the camera left a few feet would have gotten that lamp post out of the building.
The second one is half way between one point and two point perspectives which feels like a compositional mistake. It would benefit from a forced one point perspective with the back shifted to maintain the right side of the shot... this would all give it a more graphical strength.
Third. Yeah, I dig that.
Not bad, Tom... I hope my input is helpful.
CB
Chris, I always welcome input from folks such as yourself - thanks for the helpful critique. The sun was pretty much behind me on the first shot (southeast), so it flattened everything on the eastern elevation out. You're right about the second shot, too - a bit awkward. I liked the third shot the most, shooting it at dusk is really the only way to get rid of the black hole that cars disappear into and reveal the inner workings of the building. Too much contrast during the day. I will say that photo tested the limits of the Aptus, really wish I had the budget for a 45+. Or a film back.
Jim, I used a Schneider 47 digitar for all shots, including the third shot. I also have the new Schneider 60 5.6 in my admittedly limited kit and both lenses are fantastic. For interior work I wish I had something a bit wider but stitching the 47 works for me. In the Canon days I used the 17 and 24 TS-E lenses too often as a crutch, so I made a conscious decision to start longer.
I'll definitely post here again - thanks everyone!
Tom