Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 214   Go Down

Author Topic: Recent Professional Works  (Read 1791554 times)

Abdulrahman Aljabri

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 307
    • http://www.aljabri.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2580 on: October 12, 2010, 01:19:52 pm »

But giving magazines one's work for free is a step I would never have made: those mothers didn't give free pages! Worse, if they get stuff free, why would they later pay anyone for more work? They just need find another mug to exploit. No shortage there!

True, I recently told a magazine publisher that the only way for them to get to use my work for no charge was to offer something in return. I wanted to use their contacts and resources to open doors to unique places and people and use that access to create amazing content. They in turn would use it in their magazine, but the director just didn't want to bother beyond sending monthly themes and ideas.
Logged
MY SITE: AL

fredjeang

  • Guest
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2581 on: October 12, 2010, 01:21:49 pm »

I think both TMARK and Rob resumed well the reality.
If mags are involved amyway they would logically buy the exclusivity.
The Kipling choice is IMO a good one. Investing in the artistic imagery.

The problem is that in the wonderfull world we are living nowdays we really have to be above the crowd, idealy trying to get the point where they need you, not you needing them.

On the contrary, everything else is just bondage and humiliations.

IMO.
Logged

Frank Doorhof

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1522
    • http://
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2582 on: October 16, 2010, 03:28:48 pm »

A few from today
Logged

Christopher

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1499
    • http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2583 on: October 26, 2010, 12:00:22 pm »

This time some landscape images.

Linhof Techno - Rodenstock HR-W 40mm - P65 - 2 images stitched



Linhof Techno - Rodenstock HR-W 40mm - P65 - 2 images stitched



Phase One AF - Phase One 80D - P45 - 6 images stitched



Linhof Techno - Rodenstock HR-W 40mm - P65 - 3 images stitched

Logged
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

haefnerphoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 680
    • http://www.jameshaefner.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2584 on: October 26, 2010, 12:13:00 pm »

Christopher, Beautiful images!
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25132
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2585 on: October 26, 2010, 12:25:32 pm »

I agree with haefnerphoto. The tonalities and color speak volumes to me. Images like that I would gladly hang on my wall. Something so many landscape shooters miss is that they render the content like they see it and not add mood and feeling with a color palette. hWe're past the days of Velvia. Every photographer needs a unique color palette tat adds expression to their work. Very nice!


We are?

So, that explains why I have a virgin, sealed pack of 120 format V in the freezer but no 120 camera any more.

You see? Digital effs with everything!

Rob C

Dick Roadnight

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1730
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2586 on: October 26, 2010, 12:37:13 pm »

This time some landscape images.

Linhof Techno - Rodenstock HR-W 40mm - P65
Phase One AF - Phase One 80D - P45 - 6 images stitched
Very nice - would like to see them full res!

Do you back-pack with the Techno?

What is the kit weight? ...with what lens selection?

I have today received my Sinar sliding back... but it weighs as much as a DSLR without a camera or lens!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 01:02:07 pm by Dick Roadnight »
Logged
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

aaronleitz

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 113
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2587 on: October 26, 2010, 12:45:10 pm »

Really like that first one Christopher.

It's good to see this thread back on top so I'll do my part to contribute.....

Two from a shoot at a fabulous apartment and one from a Starbucks remodel:
Logged

Dick Roadnight

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1730
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2588 on: October 26, 2010, 01:38:18 pm »

Really like that first one Christopher.

It's good to see this thread back on top so I'll do my part to contribute.....

Two from a shoot at a fabulous apartment and one from a Starbucks remodel:

Nice - I particularly like the Starbucks picture, as it is punchy, and contrasty without any too deep shadows or blown highlights.

...do you use a leaf shutter to give you fast sync speeds?

The minimum ISO on the H4D-60 is 100, and on the eShutters the max shutter speed is 1/250, so at the optimal f8 I should just about be able to tame sunlight, but white buildings in direct sunlight might be a problem... I might need a ND!

If the background buildings had been sharper, it might have detracted from the picture - what do you think?

Did you take a version with people in it?
Logged
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

aaronleitz

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 113
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2589 on: October 26, 2010, 02:46:37 pm »

Nice - I particularly like the Starbucks picture, as it is punchy, and contrasty without any too deep shadows or blown highlights.

...do you use a leaf shutter to give you fast sync speeds?

The minimum ISO on the H4D-60 is 100, and on the eShutters the max shutter speed is 1/250, so at the optimal f8 I should just about be able to tame sunlight, but white buildings in direct sunlight might be a problem... I might need a ND!

If the background buildings had been sharper, it might have detracted from the picture - what do you think?

Did you take a version with people in it?

The shot is a composite of three images. Taken with a D3x - so no leaf shutters. I didn't want the buildings to be too much in focus as the goal was to highlight the interiors with a little nod to the location of the store. We have tossed around the idea of having people in the photos but haven't really made the effort yet and I'm not sure it would improve these kinds of photos.
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25132
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2590 on: October 26, 2010, 04:16:46 pm »

The shot is a composite of three images. Taken with a D3x - so no leaf shutters. I didn't want the buildings to be too much in focus as the goal was to highlight the interiors with a little nod to the location of the store. We have tossed around the idea of having people in the photos but haven't really made the effort yet and I'm not sure it would improve these kinds of photos.


Lovely light in the last shot - damn nice one!

Rob C

JoeKitchen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5080
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2591 on: October 26, 2010, 04:43:47 pm »

Aaronleitz, the third images is sweet, and I love the lighting, just the kind that I am drawn to.  What city am I seeing the background, Chicago?  

Also, here is a little video that I put together over the weekend.  It is a time lapsed video of me setting up a shot on a small porch with a capture happening every 20 seconds.  Nothing amazing in terms of design (just my parents porch), but I thought it would be a net self promotion device.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD7cJ7h9kLk
Logged
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Christopher

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1499
    • http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2592 on: October 26, 2010, 05:40:38 pm »

Christopher, Beautiful images!

I agree with haefnerphoto. The tonalities and color speak volumes to me. Images like that I would gladly hang on my wall. Something so many landscape shooters miss is that they render the content like they see it and not add mood and feeling with a color palette. We're past the days of Velvia. Every photographer needs a unique color palette that adds expression to their work. Very nice!

Thanks a lot.


Very nice - would like to see them full res!

Do you back-pack with the Techno?

What is the kit weight? ...with what lens selection?

I have today received my Sinar sliding back... but it weighs as much as a DSLR without a camera or lens!

I can't answer the question exaclty, because it was different for every trip, mostly depending on how much water I took with me, but something around 12-20kg.
I carried mosty the Techno + 40mm + 90mm + 150mm and a 5dmk2 with a 70-200.
Logged
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

haefnerphoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 680
    • http://www.jameshaefner.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2593 on: October 26, 2010, 09:32:42 pm »

Here are a few recent images.  Jim
Logged

SecondFocus

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 526
    • SecondFocus
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2594 on: October 26, 2010, 09:36:02 pm »

Wow!

I am especially impressed with the Lobby and the Mustang!

Here are a few recent images.  Jim
Logged
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

Dick Roadnight

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1730
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2595 on: October 27, 2010, 03:47:16 am »

Here are a few recent images.  Jim
Wow, I am especially impressed with the colour exterior and the Lobby - but would not Microsoft have preferred to have had their name in sharper focus?

There seems to be nowhere to put the lights, so did you do it in sections, putting the lights in one section to light another?
Logged
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

robert zimmerman

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 226
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2596 on: October 27, 2010, 05:09:02 am »

that interior shot is very nice. must have taken forever to light it - looks fantastic.
Logged

haefnerphoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 680
    • http://www.jameshaefner.com
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2597 on: October 27, 2010, 06:31:54 am »

Glad to hear the shots are well received!  The lobby shot was taken with available light, my workflow consists of shooting a large bracket and blending the exposures using the Exposure Fusion window in Photomatix.  The image is a stitch so that had to be done twice for this shot.  My client was the architectural firm that designed the space and lighting so the name isn't as important as the space.  Jim
Logged

ChristopherBarrett

  • Guest
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2598 on: October 27, 2010, 07:31:32 am »

Beautiful work, Jim (as always).  As a small aside... on the interior I'd like to see the camera square to the carpet (rotated clockwise a hair and shifted back to compensate).  It's easy to overlook carpet as an architectural feature, but anything with linear elements running ALMOST parallel to the frame always bugs me.  Also feels like there's too much negative space left of the foreground seating group (draws my eye to the corner)...shift chairs left and towards camera or just crop some of the left image off?  Really just nitpickey stuff, the shots are great.

There's something about your work that I always know is artificial (the exposure blending).  But it gives the images a surreal esthetic that I actually really love.  I think the retouching is always just enough... idealizing reality without rendering it.

Cheers,
CB
Logged

Dick Roadnight

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1730
Re: Recent Professional Works
« Reply #2599 on: October 27, 2010, 07:55:10 am »

Glad to hear the shots are well received!  The lobby shot was taken with available light, my workflow consists of shooting a large bracket and blending the exposures using the Exposure Fusion window in Photomatix. Jim
I had been thinking I need to get Photomatrix... always managed without it so far (using Phocus) but I think it as a "must have" accessory for serious photography.
Logged
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 214   Go Up