I disagree about not having a choice. There are alternatives, some even more potent than the Adobe implementation, but they might complicate the workflow a bit by adding another (software) step to the process.
True, agreed. And, some of the complication can be avoided if one stays in Photoshop. Sometime ago I had the need to load raw grayscale data in Photoshop such as the one shown below:
In addition I also wanted to separate the color channels in R,G,B,G images so that I can do some color-plane specific stuff. Photoshop doesn't seem to provide this capability. So, I put all of this into a Photoshop plugin, which is freely available from the website link in my signature below. I hope some of you find it useful. Unfortunately, it is Photoshop CS3, Mac 10.6 only, as that is what I have.
While I was there I provided a very rudimentary deMosaic capability using libraw so that I can compare with ACR import into Photoshop. As an advantage it enabled me to load those raw files into Photoshop CS3 which it otherwise did not recognize (perhaps the raw files are more recent than the Photoshop version, etc.). For example see the image below:
The interface is very rudimentary (don't compare to ACR or LR, etc.):
But, it gets the work done for me in certain areas. And, anybody is free to use it if they find it helpful.
Sincerely,
Joofa