Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: vacation to cape cod  (Read 8926 times)

micrud

vacation to cape cod
« on: April 30, 2007, 06:06:18 am »

WE are about to fly across the pond to boston, and will we travelling down to Yarmouth cape cod, for a two week vacation, and are wondering if anyone can recommend the places of real photographic interest, and the best areas for sunsets, we will have a hire car, and also want to visit marthas and nantucket, so would it be best to book the car ferry in advance. thanks guys in anticipation.

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
vacation to cape cod
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 09:49:36 am »

WE are about to fly across the pond to boston, and will we travelling down to Yarmouth cape cod, for a two week vacation, and are wondering if anyone can recommend the places of real photographic interest, and the best areas for sunsets, we will have a hire car, and also want to visit marthas and nantucket, so would it be best to book the car ferry in advance. thanks guys in anticipation.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not sure what you like to shoot, and when you are coming. I'd recommend that you go to the bayside beaches for sunset-particularly in Brewster or Dennis, and also check out Rock Harbor in Orleans. If you are an early riser, go to Chatham and try Chatham Light, the Fish Pier, and Bridge Street. Also, Morris Island, which is just past Bridge St.

Fort Hill in Orleans is also a nice early morning site.

Also be sure to go to Truro and Provincetown, at the very tip of the Cape. Nice Sand dunes and wide, sweeping beaches on the Atlantic side. While in Provincetown, try to catch a meal at Napi's or Ciro & Sals. Both are great.

If you are coming now, it will be a bit cool and the trees will be bare. The Cape doesn't warm up until late May.

I'll try to post some Cape photos on my sight and send you a link later in the day. Although I live in Florida now, I go to the Cape every year to visit my parents, who live in Chatham during the summer months. The Cape has been a favorite place for almost 50 years.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

micrud

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:28:32 am »

Not sure what you like to shoot, and when you are coming. I'd recommend that you go to the bayside beaches for sunset-particularly in Brewster or Dennis, and also check out Rock Harbor in Orleans. If you are an early riser, go to Chatham and try Chatham Light, the Fish Pier, and Bridge Street. Also, Morris Island, which is just past Bridge St.

Fort Hill in Orleans is also a nice early morning site.

Also be sure to go to Truro and Provincetown, at the very tip of the Cape. Nice Sand dunes and wide, sweeping beaches on the Atlantic side. While in Provincetown, try to catch a meal at Napi's or Ciro & Sals. Both are great.

If you are coming now, it will be a bit cool and the trees will be bare. The Cape doesn't warm up until late May.

I'll try to post some Cape photos on my sight and send you a link later in the day. Although I live in Florida now, I go to the Cape every year to visit my parents, who live in Chatham during the summer months. The Cape has been a favorite place for almost 50 years.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115174\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks so much for the info, we will be there from 26th may, i have taken on board all of the places to visit, and recommended restaurants, as already stated i am still trying to suitably navigate this site as a newbie, all the best mick.

BobDavid

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 09:35:02 pm »

Marconi Beach, Truro. Beautiful.

OnyimBob

• http://
vacation to cape cod
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 01:27:32 am »

Try to visit Provincetown in the evening or at least be there after dark, it's a real spectacle, and great fun whether you have a camera or not!
Bob.
Bob Munro.
[url=http://www.waterholesgue

micrud

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 04:46:45 am »

Marconi Beach, Truro. Beautiful.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115268\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
on my list thanks bob.

micrud

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 04:48:06 am »

Try to visit Provincetown in the evening or at least be there after dark, it's a real spectacle, and great fun whether you have a camera or not!
Bob.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115287\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
thanks will do that.

Panorama

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 10:26:16 am »

When you're up in Provincetown, known as "Ptown" to most locals and Bostonians, you should go to Race Point. It's out by the dunes on the outside tip of the cape and can give you some beautiful late afternoon shots. It's one of my favorites.

I'd also suggest you go to N. Truro (just south of Ptwon) and see if you can shoot some of the cottages along the water. As with everything, you need the right right light but these are oft photographed and always fun.

Don't be fooled by the size of the cape. Since you're going at the beginning of the "silly season" (Memorial Day weekend is the kickoff) expect to start seeing more people there and traffic getting worse. It can add a lot to travel times.....

micrud

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 10:53:25 am »

When you're up in Provincetown, known as "Ptown" to most locals and Bostonians, you should go to Race Point. It's out by the dunes on the outside tip of the cape and can give you some beautiful late afternoon shots. It's one of my favorites.

I'd also suggest you go to N. Truro (just south of Ptwon) and see if you can shoot some of the cottages along the water. As with everything, you need the right right light but these are oft photographed and always fun.

Don't be fooled by the size of the cape. Since you're going at the beginning of the "silly season" (Memorial Day weekend is the kickoff) expect to start seeing more people there and traffic getting worse. It can add a lot to travel times.....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116564\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for your help, have added these places to my list, and am i right in saying that from yarmouth to p town, it is roughly 69 miles, regards mic.

howiesmith

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 11:19:49 am »

... am i right in saying that from yarmouth to p town, it is roughly 69 miles, regards mic.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116570\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, unless by "roughly 69 miles" you mean 40-45 miles.  Or by "yarmouth" you meant "Falmouth."  Or, by a "mile" you meant a "kilometer."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 11:42:28 am by howiesmith »

micrud

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 01:03:55 pm »

No, unless by "roughly 69 miles" you mean 40-45 miles.  Or by "yarmouth" you meant "Falmouth."  Or, by a "mile" you meant a "kilometer."
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116575\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
south yarmouth to p town, total distance in miles or kilos and i will work it out ta.

kate61

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 12:10:00 pm »

Rock Harbor at Sunset can be great - especially if low tide happens to be at the same time.

If you do go to PTown and have a little extra time - Art's Dune Tours are very good (not sure if they run this time of year, but if so you would benefit from lack or tourists). The tour takes you way out in the Dunes and you see some Dune shacks most people don't get the opportunity to see otherwise. They do sunset tours which are also good.

Sandwich Boardwalk might provide some interesting shots depending on tides and # of tourists about.

You can't go wrong on the Cape - I've been going for years and haven't run out of things to photograph!

micrud

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 04:37:00 am »

Rock Harbor at Sunset can be great - especially if low tide happens to be at the same time.

If you do go to PTown and have a little extra time - Art's Dune Tours are very good (not sure if they run this time of year, but if so you would benefit from lack or tourists). The tour takes you way out in the Dunes and you see some Dune shacks most people don't get the opportunity to see otherwise. They do sunset tours which are also good.

Sandwich Boardwalk might provide some interesting shots depending on tides and # of tourists about.

You can't go wrong on the Cape - I've been going for years and haven't run out of things to photograph!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118536\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks very much for that info Kate,all added to my list,the Dune tour sounds a must do. And may i ask where Rock harbour is located, regards mic.

kate61

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 07:49:46 am »

In Orleans. IF you type Rock Harbor, Orleans, MA into Google maps and you can see exactly. You could do Ptown one afternoon and catch Rock Harbor at sunset on your way back (about 30 minutes apart depending on traffic. Though Ptown (Dune Tour or Race Point) also has nice sunsets. FYI - Wellfleet is also a nice quaint New England town - you could make a detour there too on your way to or from Ptown. Have fun -

micrud

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 07:54:04 am »

In Orleans. IF you type Rock Harbor, Orleans, MA into Google maps and you can see exactly. You could do Ptown one afternoon and catch Rock Harbor at sunset on your way back (about 30 minutes apart depending on traffic. Though Ptown (Dune Tour or Race Point) also has nice sunsets. FYI - Wellfleet is also a nice quaint New England town - you could make a detour there too on your way to or from Ptown. Have fun -
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118815\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks once again, will do.

Panorama

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 09:45:15 am »

Thanks once again, will do.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118817\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry, I've been away.

Anyway, one problem you'll find at the cape is there are lots of places to explore but you can only be in one place at one time; I wish they'd fix that.

If I was coming over, I'd want to know the tide schedule. This, right behind the quality and quantity of light, can affect your shots dramatically. I've photographed places (marshes) where the tide was in and everything was beautiful, but the same location, the same time  of day with the tide out is nothing but a swampy bug infested mess that you'd avoid given the chance.

If you can print out a tide chart before you come over, that will help you enormously IMO. The cape can be beautiful, but all the factors need to coincide.

I hope you have a wonderful time!

micrud

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 11:47:31 am »

Sorry, I've been away.

Anyway, one problem you'll find at the cape is there are lots of places to explore but you can only be in one place at one time; I wish they'd fix that.

If I was coming over, I'd want to know the tide schedule. This, right behind the quality and quantity of light, can affect your shots dramatically. I've photographed places (marshes) where the tide was in and everything was beautiful, but the same location, the same time  of day with the tide out is nothing but a swampy bug infested mess that you'd avoid given the chance.

If you can print out a tide chart before you come over, that will help you enormously IMO. The cape can be beautiful, but all the factors need to coincide.

I hope you have a wonderful time!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118832\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thank you once again,and that sounds like a very good idea, regards mic.

kate61

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 07:24:16 am »

When you return, post a few pics - I'd love to see where you ended up!

micrud

vacation to cape cod
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 07:04:43 am »

When you return, post a few pics - I'd love to see where you ended up!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=122019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi kate, we arrived back in london saturday evening, had a fantastic time weather was good, although a few thunderstorms during the second week, managed to see quite a lot,barnstable sandwich (boardwalk) brewster, dennis, orleans wellfleet, chatham, beautiful, hyannis,etc, and imo the two outstanding places were P town and marthas vyneyard, which we thought were stunning, took the hyline to marthas, and did the whale watch from barnstable, although i always seemed to be on the wrong side of the boat when they popped up, i will eventually put some images on here, however i am not sure how to use this site properly as yet, the added problem i have is that i seem to have sensor dust on nearly all of the images, and being fairly new to digital i have not as yet got a clue as to what to do about it, will be further in touch, kind regards mick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up