I see a lot of people jumping onto the M1/2 bandwagon and buying systems with way more ram 64mg than is needed today just to future proof their system. That I see is one of the major issues with the closed Mac system…no upgrade path.
The "lack of upgrade path" is a frequent criticism of Macs. It's true, if you are focused on swapping in new internal components after an initial purchase. But many users will special order Macs with enhanced specs (more RAM, more CPU, etc.) for future-proofing, anticipating that they will keep the machines for a long time. I think there are statistics showing that Macs tend to have a longer useful service life than PCs. Perhaps this is a reflection of better reliability, or longer support through OS upgrades. I am writing this on an iMac Retina 5K, 27" screen, from 2014. It has never failed, screen still looks good, and it still provides responsive performance for all my photo editing apps. This machine is not compatible with the two most recent macOS versions (it is stuck on macOS 11 Big Sur), but Apple still ships security-related software updates for it.
I also have a 2021 M1 Macbook Pro. Its only significant advantages over the iMac are the miniLED display, and the M1 chip, which is faster on the rare occasions when I run Topaz AI Sharpen.
Bear in mind that it is possible to upgrade "closed system" Macs by adding peripherals to the (very fast) USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 ports. For example, I use a Thunderbolt connected external drive enclosure, containing 3 HDDs and 1 SSD, for backups and archives. My primary photo library is in this box, and the access times are, for my needs, comparable to the internal SSD.