The economy has tanked already and will sink under the waves. You ain't seen nothing yet. Now, white collar workers are getting laid off, or getting reduced salaries with less work hours. Law firms even with high paying jobs are laying off people. It's not just waiters and bartenders. Meanwhile in NYC, the mayor refuses to shut down the subway system telling the MTA who runs it to cut back on ridership. Duh?
The virus is being spread by the "A" Train.
"Take the A Train" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb2w2m1JmCY
Interesting how they made an MTV music video in 1943. Nothing new and done pretty well.
I guess we'll see how fast things get back to normal. This was an artificial crash of the economy, self induced. We have never had this before, at this rate anyway so I don't think anyone really knows how things will look next year. China is already starting up its factories. That pork plant that went down will start up on a dime.
I think the areas that will take longer to recover are things like tourism as people might remain sceptical for longer, discretionary items like photo equipment until people feel good about their financial situations.
But those waiters and bar tenders will all come back quickly as there will be a pent up demand to go out and eat / drink / socialize again.
I personally am not as pessimistic as you. I think we'll recover pretty quickly. Some things might change for ever...but maybe that's good as we need some changes in our lives once in a while.
In any case, I owe nothing to anyone, I'm still getting all the food I need, have a great house that I remodelled last year...so just awaiting things to open up. Hoping the national parks open up by August as I have won lottery tickets into a secluded place in Yoho park and want to spend time taking some landscape images.