Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 619465 times)

petermfiore

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2706
    • Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3120 on: November 17, 2019, 11:37:30 am »

Peter, thanks.

When I 'retired' I promised myself that what followed would be entirely for me. That said, if a publisher should come along...

;-)

Got It....

Peter

Arlen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1733
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3121 on: November 17, 2019, 03:41:32 pm »

Peter, thanks.

When I 'retired' I promised myself that what followed would be entirely for me. That said, if a publisher should come along...

;-)

I hope one does come along, because these images definitely merit it.

Something like that did happen to me. After I retired (from a molecular biology career), I took up photographing and writing about aquatic insects, and posted about it on the internet. After a few years a publisher noticed and offered me a book deal. It wouldn't have happened otherwise; I was not into chasing opportunities or meeting deadlines at that point.
Logged

D Fuller

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 608
    • AirStream Pictures
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3122 on: November 17, 2019, 05:04:37 pm »

Eric, Arlen, many thanks, much appreciated.

From earlier in the year, Camouflaged in Varanasi.



This is among my favorite sorts of images. The capture of a nearly-monochrome scene in color is striking. My daughter photographs scenes with limited color palettes remarkably often. I find that they seldom appear to me. I'm a little jealous. :)
Logged
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3123 on: November 18, 2019, 11:10:43 am »

Arlen, David, thanks.

I hope one does come along, because these images definitely merit it.

Something like that did happen to me. After I retired (from a molecular biology career), I took up photographing and writing about aquatic insects, and posted about it on the internet. After a few years a publisher noticed and offered me a book deal. It wouldn't have happened otherwise; I was not into chasing opportunities or meeting deadlines at that point.

Arlen, Understood. I always found working to please others was just that, work, whereas working to please myself was a joy.  As an illustrator I always worked for others, as a photographer I have always worked for myself, producing what ever I wanted and worrying about how to turn a buck from the resulting images as an afterthought. Don't get me wrong, it's not a business model I'd recommend to others.

As an example, earlier in the year I was offered a gig that any sane working photographer would have given their right arm for, but for which I would have had to relinquish control. Although flattered I wasn't even tempted. I guess money has never been my driving force and also guess it's why I'm not wealthy.

This is among my favorite sorts of images. The capture of a nearly-monochrome scene in color is striking. My daughter photographs scenes with limited color palettes remarkably often. I find that they seldom appear to me. I'm a little jealous. :)


David, it's something for which I keep an eye open, but honestly rarely find, or rather rarely produce to my own satisfaction. When it works it works, though just not often enough.

;-)

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3124 on: November 23, 2019, 05:27:04 am »

Ironing services, Jodhpur, India.

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3125 on: November 23, 2019, 07:16:31 am »

Well done, Keith.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

petermfiore

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2706
    • Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3126 on: November 23, 2019, 08:21:46 am »

Ironing services, Jodhpur, India.

Keith,

Those warm notes against the cool blue...

Peter

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3127 on: November 23, 2019, 08:54:30 am »

Russ, thanks.

Peter, yes, this is the draw of Jodhpur, the city's blue architecture and the contrasting warmth of the people's attire. 

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3128 on: November 24, 2019, 01:43:08 pm »

Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3129 on: November 25, 2019, 08:08:16 am »

Thanks, Eric.

Rajan Parrikar

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3950
    • Rajan Parrikar
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3130 on: November 25, 2019, 10:41:07 am »

Beautiful work, Keith. I had missed these images as I tend not to click on extended threads.

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3131 on: November 25, 2019, 12:13:20 pm »

Thanks, Rajan, much appreciated.

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25164
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3132 on: November 26, 2019, 05:30:30 pm »

Too much hard work.

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3133 on: November 26, 2019, 07:17:26 pm »

Not just hard work, Rob. You know the definition of a boat?
"A hole in the water into which you pour money."

-Eric

P.S. Neat image.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3134 on: November 28, 2019, 01:15:05 pm »

From the ghats of Varanasi.

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3135 on: November 28, 2019, 09:02:42 pm »

Great portrait.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Arlen

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1733
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3136 on: November 28, 2019, 11:15:42 pm »

Logged

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3137 on: November 30, 2019, 03:52:44 am »

Thanks folks.

KLaban

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2752
    • Keith Laban Photography
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3138 on: November 30, 2019, 07:46:03 am »

Off to the party, invitation in hand.

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3139 on: November 30, 2019, 02:49:52 pm »

Wonderful the last few portraits Keith. Love the natural light and colours, which seem to augment the people.

JR
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 184   Go Up