... I'm just not understanding what Slobodan is asserting, since it's absolutely NOT illegal to verify eligibility...
I apologize. Looks like what I quoted from memory is outdated by now.
I was actively engaged in hiring in the 2004-2007 period. In 2008 and 2009 we were mostly firing. And in 2010 I was out too. I remember clearly that language in the employer instructions that I quoted.
However...
E-Verify (as per Wikipedia):
- is voluntary
- expanded in 2007 (when I stopped hiring)
- only about 600,000 employers use it (out of about 5 million to 20 million, depending on definition)
- As of September 2007, most of the federal government did not use the system when hiring employees
- Social Security Administration failed to perform required verifications of the Social Security numbers of 19 percent of its own new hires during an 18-month period, according to a January 2010 report
- only 16 states require use of E-Verify in some form
- only six states have laws requiring all or nearly all businesses to use E-Verify
- Three states require only public contractors to use E-Verify
- Three states have moved in the opposite direction, limiting or discouraging use of E-Verify: California (of course), Rhode Island, and
IllinoisNow, note Illinois, the state I was in at the time: the state law initially
prohibited Illinois employers from using E-verify. E-Verify is not required in Illinois now. In fact, Illinois is the only state that has tried to block the use of E-Verify by private employers.
In other words, I am not surprised that, working in Illinois, I could have encountered the language I initially quoted (from memory).