Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Matting Cutter Suggestions  (Read 6584 times)

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« on: July 01, 2006, 12:18:07 am »

The time now is that I need to begin practicing cutting mats. I need to buy a good mat cutter that clamps to the side of a table, or however you mount them so they don't slide around.

So what do you all use and why? I'm willing to spend the money to get a good one. I don't want to get frustrated working with crappy junk.

Thanks again--
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 12:18:36 am by dwdallam »
Logged

dlashier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 518
    • http://www.lashier.com/
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 01:01:35 am »

I use a C&H, it's pretty much the standard for comparision. Last photo on this page.

- DL
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 01:03:57 am by dlashier »
Logged

jule

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 738
    • http://www.juliestephenson.net
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 10:35:38 pm »

I have a C&H Advantage Pro which is brilliant. I recess mounted mine so the top of the matt cutter is flush with the table. I made my own table using a 6' x 4' marine ply which I sanded and painted, mounted on the aluminium legs and frame from Ikea.
julie
Logged

Jack Flesher

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2592
    • www.getdpi.com
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 09:39:38 am »

You should check out speed-mat -- costly but a beauty to use.  Clamps the entire sheet down and cuts all four sides without moving the board.  Also uses drop-stops so you can cut perfect double (or triple or quadruple) mats as fast as the first without re-measuring or re-setting the machine. http://www.speed-mat.com/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 09:41:47 am by Jack Flesher »
Logged
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Geoff Wittig

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1023
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 04:47:28 pm »

My wife cuts my mats in sizes up to 24x36", God bless her, and after trying by hand and using several lesser gadgets we settled on a Logan Simplex plus, #750. This is simple, very solid, and works like a charm for straight or beveled cuts.
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 01:53:27 am »

Quote
I have a C&H Advantage Pro which is brilliant. I recess mounted mine so the top of the matt cutter is flush with the table. I made my own table using a 6' x 4' marine ply which I sanded and painted, mounted on the aluminium legs and frame from Ikea.
julie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69616\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If it is flush, what does the blade cut into when you are cutting mats?
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 01:56:10 am »

Quote
You should check out speed-mat -- costly but a beauty to use.  Clamps the entire sheet down and cuts all four sides without moving the board.  Also uses drop-stops so you can cut perfect double (or triple or quadruple) mats as fast as the first without re-measuring or re-setting the machine. http://www.speed-mat.com/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69634\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah, I'm picking up the computerized wall mount tomorrow, right after I rob a bank. But wouldn't that be great? A computerized auto mat cutter that you can put on the wall in your bedroom. Oh hell yes!
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 02:11:21 am »

OK so I'm sold on the C&H only because it looks beefier than the logan's, but it is much to expensive for me. I think they start at about 1, 000 US. On the other hand, the Logan you mention (750) is around 250 US. So is there that much difference between the two that I should wait and get the C&H, or be sorry I didn't? What are the pros and cons here? I also want to make sure I can cut a standard size mat board with anything I buy, which I believe is 32 x 40?. Will the Logan 750, for instance, cut a 20 x 30 inch hole, minus a half nch on each side?

Thanks for the help.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 02:21:04 am by dwdallam »
Logged

jule

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 738
    • http://www.juliestephenson.net
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 03:09:22 am »

Quote
If it is flush, what does the blade cut into when you are cutting mats?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69720\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The whole piece of equipment is about 3cm thick, about 50cm wide and 140cm long (excluding the measuring arm). The blade cuts in the little groove on the base plate of the equipment. If you plonk the matt cutter on top of a table, the depth of the equipment will mean that the whole sheet of mat will not lie flat, and have to go up a little hump to be cut.... so the whole matt cutter is recessed so the top of the base plate of the cutter ie level with the table surface. If bolting directly on to a table, one could always fill this gap - ie the depth of the base plate  - with another sheet of something of course. You might need to go and have a look at a couple to get the idea.
Julie
Logged

dlashier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 518
    • http://www.lashier.com/
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 03:20:54 am »

Quote
OK so I'm sold on the C&H only because it looks beefier than the logan's, but it is much to expensive for me. I think they start at about 1, 000 US.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69723\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I bought my C&H used from a local frame shop (actually traded for web hosting). These things don't really wear out very fast so you might consider used.

> one could always fill this gap - ie the depth of the base plate - with another sheet of something of course.

I used a sheet of plywood (3/4" iirc), topped with a piece of carpet. This makes a flat surface.

- DL
Logged

Jack Flesher

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2592
    • www.getdpi.com
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 09:56:29 am »

Quote
Yeah, I'm picking up the computerized wall mount tomorrow, right after I rob a bank. But wouldn't that be great? A computerized auto mat cutter that you can put on the wall in your bedroom. Oh hell yes!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69721\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've actually seen that puppy in operation at a local pro framing shop.  Wow!  You literally type in dimensions and press a button -- seconds later, presto perfect cut.  Does ovals, hex etcetera all with the same head.  Good news is I can upgrade my basic 4060 model to the computerized head any time.  Yeah right  
Logged
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Geoff Wittig

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1023
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 04:53:41 pm »

Will the Logan 750, for instance, cut a 20 x 30 inch hole, minus a half nch on each side?

Absolutely. My wife's "standard" mat size is 24x36" with a 20x30" hole. She's been using the same 750 for more than two years, and the thing shows no sign of wear after hundreds of mats.
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 06:18:16 pm »

Quote
The whole piece of equipment is about 3cm thick, about 50cm wide and 140cm long (excluding the measuring arm). The blade cuts in the little groove on the base plate of the equipment. If you plonk the matt cutter on top of a table, the depth of the equipment will mean that the whole sheet of mat will not lie flat, and have to go up a little hump to be cut.... so the whole matt cutter is recessed so the top of the base plate of the cutter ie level with the table surface. If bolting directly on to a table, one could always fill this gap - ie the depth of the base plate  - with another sheet of something of course. You might need to go and have a look at a couple to get the idea.
Julie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69728\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]


Julie, thanks. I understand that now. Great.
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Matting Cutter Suggestions
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 06:20:46 pm »

Quote
I've actually seen that puppy in operation at a local pro framing shop.  Wow!  You literally type in dimensions and press a button -- seconds later, presto perfect cut.  Does ovals, hex etcetera all with the same head.  Good news is I can upgrade my basic 4060 model to the computerized head any time.  Yeah right 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=69745\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've seen them work too Jack. Pretty amazing. Do you know how much those are? I could buy one and hire a college kid to run it for profit--hahaha.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up