Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple laptops  (Read 55129 times)

NancyP

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2513
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2016, 05:05:59 pm »

Thanks, landscape. D'oh to me.
Logged

rdonson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3263
Logged
Regards,
Ron

NancyP

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2513
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2016, 01:46:23 pm »

Available starting February 2017, says OWC....
Logged

N80

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 621
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2016, 05:48:23 pm »

I know Apple wants the product to be sleek and light. I'd rather have it larger and more versatile.
Logged
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

scyth

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 584
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2016, 06:28:02 pm »

I know Apple wants the product to be sleek and light. I'd rather have it larger and more versatile.

PC & Hackintosh are your friends then... you can have a Xeon, desktop-class chipset and dual GPU of GTX1080M class notebook as a desktop replacement, but alas it won't work in Starbucks
Logged

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2016, 07:48:22 pm »

PC & Hackintosh are your friends then... you can have a Xeon, desktop-class chipset and dual GPU of GTX1080M class notebook as a desktop replacement, but alas it won't work in Starbucks

Gotta love those Hacks.....
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Endeavour

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 421
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2016, 08:14:01 pm »

hackintosh are always fun to play with, but rarely a business critical solution.

there is always something which doesnt work, usually wireless or sound
Logged

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2016, 09:11:45 pm »

hackintosh are always fun to play with, but rarely a business critical solution.

there is always something which doesnt work, usually wireless or sound

Absolutely untrue.   I've had more than one and they have never let me down as a full time production machine. 
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Endeavour

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 421
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2016, 10:17:30 am »

Absolutely untrue.   I've had more than one and they have never let me down as a full time production machine.

maybe you are the rarity
Logged

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2016, 12:01:32 pm »

maybe you are the rarity

Spend some time at TonyMac.   Lots of people sucsessfully running hacks professionally.  The key is to specify the proper equipment.  I recently made the upgrade to Sierra with zero problems and glitches. 

Now, if Apple decides to finally upgrade the Mac Pro ( and I'm not really a fan of the form factor) I may finally ditch the hack and become all Apple.  I own a mountain of Apple, from Watches, to iOS, multi retina MacBook Pros and even a couple of I7 quad hot rod Mac Minis.  I would prefer a workstation option from Apple that fit my needs but Apple has chosen not to supply it. 
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Endeavour

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 421
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2016, 12:49:24 pm »

Spend some time at TonyMac.   Lots of people sucsessfully running hacks professionally.  The key is to specify the proper equipment.  I recently made the upgrade to Sierra with zero problems and glitches. 

Now, if Apple decides to finally upgrade the Mac Pro ( and I'm not really a fan of the form factor) I may finally ditch the hack and become all Apple.  I own a mountain of Apple, from Watches, to iOS, multi retina MacBook Pros and even a couple of I7 quad hot rod Mac Minis.  I would prefer a workstation option from Apple that fit my needs but Apple has chosen not to supply it.

we were talking about laptops/macbooks though - not speccing up custom workstation hardware.
Logged

scyth

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 584
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2016, 01:00:52 pm »

hackintosh are always fun to play with, but rarely a business critical solution.

there is always something which doesnt work, usually wireless or sound

always means during the setup... and if you don't do the homework before buying or can't buy with the card you need the you can have them through USB... and please do not call mac notebooks "business critical solution" either :) - they are as "business critical solution" as you the owner
Logged

Craig Lamson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3264
    • Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2016, 01:43:20 pm »

we were talking about laptops/macbooks though - not speccing up custom workstation hardware.

Thats correct.  I've never tried but again plenty of people make hack laptops.  Sound and wifi are only a usb port away....
Logged
Craig Lamson Photo

Alex Waugh

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 68
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2016, 10:10:55 pm »

Im thinking about getting the new 13" with 2.9ghz dual core i7 & 16gb of ram for day to day work. Probably hook it up to one of the fancy HP screens for color critical scenarios. I'd spring for the 15" but it starts at 4k AUD base model with 16gb ram and its not in my budget. I've considered moving to windows (Dell XPS) but it would be a pain and i like OSX. The only camera i shoot these days is my Olympus EM1 (soon to be mk II). Will i be able to zip through m43 20mpx files on the 13"? I probably have around 5-10 layers on serious work images in PSCC.

If the 13 is good enough for those files its all i need, if not - windows time.

EDIT: Good lord i was somehow on the US site when i was looking at the 13. Its actually $3000 for a dual core i5 and 16gb ram/256SSD. Gosh......
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:30:07 pm by Alex Waugh »
Logged

vampire

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 137
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2016, 07:51:41 pm »

The price difference once you get into the high end version of the 13" isn't that big a difference. Both computers, the 13" and 15" fully spec'd out (with the 1TB SSD) only has a difference of about $600 USD. The Apple stores are starting to get some in stock, I got lucky and found one by just walking in the other day. Now I have to get all the adapters, RAID setup, etc. The expense really adds up quickly coming from the old Mac Pro Tower.
Logged

graeme

  • Guest
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2016, 10:55:16 am »

The price difference once you get into the high end version of the 13" isn't that big a difference. Both computers, the 13" and 15" fully spec'd out (with the 1TB SSD) only has a difference of about $600 USD. The Apple stores are starting to get some in stock, I got lucky and found one by just walking in the other day. Now I have to get all the adapters, RAID setup, etc. The expense really adds up quickly coming from the old Mac Pro Tower.

I noticed that a couple of years ago: a 13" with extra memory, upgraded SSD, processor etc will be almost as expensive as the 15". Go for the 15" if it's your only computer for image editing.
Logged

orc73

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 318
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2016, 03:23:22 am »

if you shoot tethered and/or use external usb disk and/or use external monitors don't go for the usb-c only models.
They have problems with the adapter as well as with native usb-c connections.
spread the word
Logged

N80

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 621
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2016, 05:37:28 pm »

if you shoot tethered and/or use external usb disk and/or use external monitors don't go for the usb-c only models.
They have problems with the adapter as well as with native usb-c connections.
spread the word

Wow. Never in my life have I considered a Windows computer. Now I am.
Logged
George

"What is truth?" Pontius  Pilate

orc73

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 318
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2016, 01:28:06 am »

yes checking the windows options now as well.
If it's just firmware, then there is hope they can fix it. Looks like tha latest mbp also have problems reported already.
Some links here:
https://discussions.apple.com/message/31023707?ac_cid=tw123456#31023707
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/266823-usb-c-tether-issues-with-sl/
Logged

NancyP

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2513
Re: Apple laptops
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2016, 05:31:50 pm »

So. Disappointed.
I tried to get a maxed-out 15" MBP from the mid 2015 lot - gone. I suppose that I might try to keep the mid-2010 going until someone actually makes a functional model. Maybe windows....
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up