...I'm giving them praise in the way they handled it.
Once again, I'll go with a 'Yes and no' on that aspect.
Yes, they 'handled it' ... in a reasonable fashion after they were pummeled by a dam burst of dissatisfaction.
No, on their first statements and conversations with users was more or less for everyone to get over it because the new Import dialog was staying and they saw no reason to restore the functionality they arbitrarily removed.
It wasn't until the floodgates opened as they never have before on the feedback forum that Hogarty realized the depth and breadth of the situation and just how serious the problem was. It was then, and only then, they found their good graces and went to work restoring what they had broken. To me, with that first instinct, they revealed a mindset that did little to convince me they really have a handle on what we users desire and consider potentially valuable in a software solution like Lightroom.
While I give them credit for finally seeing the light, they are going to have to accumulate a new proven track record before I dole out any actual 'praise' ... They are going to have to prove to us all they have broken the cycle that created the issue and get back in touch with what we really strive for instead of tracking only a small percentage of data points that do not accurately portray reality.