Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a good travel tripod that can handle FF camera with Telephoto Zoom?  (Read 1567 times)

bobkeenan

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13
    • Bobkeenan Photography

I wrote another little post to my blog about my experience with a Benro Travel Angel.

You can read it here:
http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/benro-travel-ange-c0691tb00-reviewed/

The short version is that it was great  a couple years ago with a smaller dslr and kit lens but it's not doing the job with my current set-up.  Like a Canon 5DMkII, and a 70-200mm f2.8... sometimes with a tele-extender.

Anybody have any good experiences with a travel tripod that can fit in a normal size suit case  (does not have to be carryon)?

--
Bob Keenan
http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/
Logged
Bob Keenan

bobkeenan

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13
    • Bobkeenan Photography
How I figured out which travel tripod to get.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 06:50:55 pm »

I posted the question yesterday looking for advice on what is a good travel tripod for a FF camera with larger lenses like a canon 70-200mm f2.8.   I took the responses, did a bunch of research, and ordered one today.   The Gitzo GT2541.  It will be my first Gitzo so I am looking forward to that.   If you want to see the spreadsheet I came up with you can see it here:

http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/?p=1518

If you have this tripod let me know what you think of it pls.
Logged
Bob Keenan

feppe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2906
  • Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography

I have two Gitzos, 1541T for MFT and APS-C cameras, and the gigantic GT5540LS for MF/LF film cameras. 1541T would have definitely been too light for your camera, the one you ordered will be plenty stable as long as you use a good head on it.

Gitzos are expensive but you get what you pay for.

Scott O.

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 315
    • Photography by Scott and Joyce

I use the Gitzo 2531 as a travel or backpacking tripod with the RRS BH-40 ball head.  I don't care much for 4 section legs, not quite as sturdy and an additional 3 joints to lock/unlock.  It is relatively small (particularly when the head is removed for packing) and sturdy in use.  I have a Nikon D700 (full frame) and use it with the 70-200 lens.  This combo is about as heavy as I would recommend, but it is very serviceable and a fine travel tripod..
Pages: [1]   Go Up