Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gradients question  (Read 2589 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Gradients question
« on: December 27, 2008, 01:29:44 pm »

I am in the process of learning CS4 and I am a bit puzzled by its gradients, and the Help system is no help. I see 2 ways to use a gradient - by adding a gradient map adjustment layer, and by using the gradient tool. How do these 2 differ? What would you use each for?

Thanks,

Peter

walter.sk

Gradients question
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 03:31:22 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
I am in the process of learning CS4 and I am a bit puzzled by its gradients, and the Help system is no help. I see 2 ways to use a gradient - by adding a gradient map adjustment layer, and by using the gradient tool. How do these 2 differ? What would you use each for?

Thanks,

Peter
There is a third way, also an adjustment layer: Gradient fill.  The gradient tool is useful in that you can make a selection of any size or shape, choose a gradient's characteristics (color, style (linear, radial, reflected, etc) and determine how and where you want it to appear.  However, once it is applied, you cannot alter its parameters, but have to delete it and start again.  In conjunction with a layer mask or a layer filled with middle gray and set for the Overlay blend mode, the gradient tool can easily be used to simulate, say, a graduated neutral density filter.

The gradient map adjustment layer will take whatever the foreground and background colors are and map them in an image according to the tonal levels in the image, and is an interesting way of getting a grayscale image, or changing the colors of an image, or working within a selection.

The best way to learn these is to play with them.

The Gradient Fill adjustment layer is the most flexible, as it is easy to change everything about the gradient after it is applied, so you can easily experiment with the effects.  It can also be applied globally or to a selected area.  

new_haven

Gradients question
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 06:37:16 pm »

I just click on the add mask button at the bottom of the layers palette (rectangle with a circle in the middle) and then select the gradient tool. This video explains it:

http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/videos...edExposures.mov

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Gradients question
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 07:32:44 pm »

Quote from: new_haven
I just click on the add mask button at the bottom of the layers palette (rectangle with a circle in the middle) and then select the gradient tool. This video explains it:

http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/videos...edExposures.mov

That's a very useful video, but it has nothing to do with gradients.

Peter

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Gradients question
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 08:17:33 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit

Thanks,

Peter

I am assuming that you are referring to Photoshop CS4, as the Creative Suite has a number of programs that use gradients.
The help system is actually quite useful if you know where to look.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0...ab64-77e1a.html

Using Photoshop CS4/Painting/Gradients

Jerry
Gerald J Skrocki

new_haven

Gradients question
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 09:04:25 pm »

Oops, I guess that was the luminance mask tutorial. -R
Pages: [1]   Go Up