Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Histogram response for "Sunny f/16" exposure  (Read 3377 times)

scottbel

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
Histogram response for "Sunny f/16" exposure
« on: July 31, 2007, 08:22:15 pm »

If I shoot a clear blue (cloudless, hazeless, pollution-free, etc.) north sky at mid-day to attempt to determine what my optimum "Sunny f/16" exposure is for ISO 200, what should I be looking for in the in-camera histogram? Do I want to see a tall spike centered in the middle of the scale?

(I performed this test with a Nikon D200 with 70-200mm zoom @ 200mm, focused at infinity at a 45 degree angle to the horizon, with nothing in the frame but the sky. The ISO 200 exposure that seemed to peg the histogram spike in the middle was either 1/100 @ f/16 or 1/125 @ f/16.)
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Histogram response for "Sunny f/16" exposure
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 09:01:18 am »

Quote
If I shoot a clear blue (cloudless, hazeless, pollution-free, etc.) north sky at mid-day to attempt to determine what my optimum "Sunny f/16" exposure is for ISO 200, what should I be looking for in the in-camera histogram? Do I want to see a tall spike centered in the middle of the scale?

(I performed this test with a Nikon D200 with 70-200mm zoom @ 200mm, focused at infinity at a 45 degree angle to the horizon, with nothing in the frame but the sky. The ISO 200 exposure that seemed to peg the histogram spike in the middle was either 1/100 @ f/16 or 1/125 @ f/16.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130932\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You shooting Raw or JPEG? If Raw, the Histogram you see is way, way off, its based on the JPEG.

The only stuff useful in a histogram happen on either end, highlight or shadow clipping. The height and all the stuff in the middle isn't very useful information.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

scottbel

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
Histogram response for "Sunny f/16" exposure
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:10:18 am »

Quote
You shooting Raw or JPEG? If Raw, the Histogram you see is way, way off, its based on the JPEG.

The only stuff useful in a histogram happen on either end, highlight or shadow clipping. The height and all the stuff in the middle isn't very useful information.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=130998\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am shooting RAW.

So you're saying that where the tonal values fall on the in-camera histogram scale aren't useful in making judgments of proper exposure?
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Histogram response for "Sunny f/16" exposure
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:16:20 am »

Quote
I am shooting RAW.

So you're saying that where the tonal values fall on the in-camera histogram scale aren't useful in making judgments of proper exposure?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131001\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

For Raw, yup. It has no directly (some would say useful) correlation to the Raw data.

I can 'over expose' 1.5 stops over my external meter, but get full tonal data from the Raw using Lightroom's rendering controls but if the shot is 'over exposed' a half stop, the Histogram shows clipping (based on the JPEG it will not build). Its messy. For Raw, the histogram is nearly useless.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

scottbel

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
Histogram response for "Sunny f/16" exposure
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 09:24:42 am »

Quote
For Raw, yup. It has no directly (some would say useful) correlation to the Raw data.

I can 'over expose' 1.5 stops over my external meter, but get full tonal data from the Raw using Lightroom's rendering controls but if the shot is 'over exposed' a half stop, the Histogram shows clipping (based on the JPEG it will not build). Its messy. For Raw, the histogram is nearly useless.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131003\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the feedback. I must say, the deeper I get into this stuff, the more confusing it seems to get...
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Ray

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10475
Histogram response for "Sunny f/16" exposure
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 10:01:30 am »

Quote
I am shooting RAW.

So you're saying that where the tonal values fall on the in-camera histogram scale aren't useful in making judgments of proper exposure?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131001\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can try experimenting with the in-camera jpeg settings which will affect the behaviour of the histogram. For example, a high contrast setting will tend to result in a histogram which shows a lot of clipping of highlights when in fact, if you are shooting RAW, there is no clipping.

I've set my 5D, in Picture Styles, Landscape, to minimum contrast. If I see just a small area of sky clipping (flashing on the LCD) I'm confident I've exposed fully to the right. If a large area of sky flashes, I know I've probably blown the red channel.
Logged

digitaldog

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 21652
  • Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Histogram response for "Sunny f/16" exposure
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 10:12:16 am »

Quote
I've set my 5D, in Picture Styles, Landscape, to minimum contrast. If I see just a small area of sky clipping (flashing on the LCD) I'm confident I've exposed fully to the right. If a large area of sky flashes, I know I've probably blown the red channel.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=131016\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Me too but as I indicated, half stop over with this picture style shows clipping. I don't get actual hightlight data clipping until I go over 1.5 stops recommended by incident meter. So the Histogram, even with a custom setting is a mile off.
Logged
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up