Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Next Generation  (Read 1073 times)

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
The Next Generation
« on: July 16, 2021, 10:35:42 pm »

Fuji's venerable 60mm f/2.4 macro lens (on a Fuji X-T4), 93-frame focus stack.

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 11:23:42 pm »

Lovely.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Bob_B

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3747
  • It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 06:31:28 am »

Logged
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 06:59:08 pm »

Thanks for the comments.

Here's another close-up with a floral "next generation" theme, a sunflower under construction that was about 2.5 cm in diameter:



This was shot, outdoors and handheld, in a single frame (X-T4 with Fuji's excellent new 70-300mm f/4-5.6 lens attached to a 1.4x teleconverter, 1/160 sec at f/10).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 01:37:53 pm by Chris Kern »
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 11:48:04 am »

This one is also quite fine.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2558
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2021, 01:31:14 pm »

Chris,

Not seeing the sunflower image. When i try the direct link, flicker server gives a 410 error.
thanks.
Logged

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 01:38:17 pm »

Not seeing the sunflower image. When i try the direct link, flicker server gives a 410 error.
thanks.

Thanks for the alert.  Should be fixed now.

degrub

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2558
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 08:05:43 pm »

Yes, thanks.
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14435
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 08:53:30 am »

Both are gorgeous but I still have a preference for the second one (only very slightly).
Well done.
Logged
Francois

armand

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5566
    • Photos
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 08:19:16 pm »

Fuji's venerable 60mm f/2.4 macro lens (on a Fuji X-T4), 93-frame focus stack.



Looks better than most (if not all) I've got of similar subjects. I do have to ask, were that many frames really necessary? Or that's what the camera decided it needs?

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 08:45:39 pm »

Looks better than most (if not all) I've got of similar subjects. I do have to ask, were that many frames really necessary? Or that's what the camera decided it needs?

I selected the aperture I wanted to use and let the camera's firmware determine how many frames to shoot and how much to adjust the focus between frames to ensure that the entire subject would be sharp.  I probably could have achieved a somewhat more efficient frames-focus combination if I had entered those parameters manually, but on the other hand I might have miscalculated the first (or second or third) time, and needed to try again (or perhaps again and again).  I'm using Helicon Focus to do the stacking and it's fast enough on my 2013 Mac Pro that I don't pay much attention to how many captures the camera calculates it should use.  Reshooting the subject several times with different parameters if the first try fails to get it everything in focus consumes much more time than rendering a large enough number of frames to get it right the first time.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 08:54:01 pm by Chris Kern »
Logged

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 09:07:31 pm »

I selected the aperture I wanted to use and let the camera's firmware determine how many frames to shoot and how much to adjust the focus between frames to ensure that the entire subject would be sharp.

Because the background (a straw mat) was some distance from the subject, I knew it would be suitably blurred no matter how many captures I made; my only concern was to get the entire subject in focus.  As you can see from the two attached full-resolution crops, the camera firmware (Fuji X-T4) did a good job of ensuring that it was.

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 01:53:11 pm »

Just think how hard (or even impossible) that would have been back in film days!
Lovely set.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 04:01:39 pm »

Just think how hard (or even impossible) that would have been back in film days!

Yes, indeed.  Digital has given us both new functionality and improved ease-of-use without, in my opinion, taking anything important away.  (With a little effort—none with the Fujis I'm using if you post-process in Lightroom or Capture One—you can even make your pictures look like they were shot on your favorite film stock.)

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 09:39:14 am »

I have to say the Chris, despite the pinpoint sharpness of the orchids, the background does not look natural. That's why I like the second image. 

JR
Logged

Chris Kern

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2205
    • Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2021, 01:39:25 pm »

I have to say the Chris, despite the pinpoint sharpness of the orchids, the background does not look natural.

That in my experience is a common problem—attribute might be a more accurate term—when shooting close-ups for a focus stack.  You need a relatively wide aperture to help the stacking software get the entire subject perfectly focused, but that means the background is likely to be completely blurred, and you want to avoid a very busy bokeh that might detract from the overall image.

In the case of the orchid picture above, because of the way the buds were growing I was pointing the camera down at a potted plant that was sitting on a light-colored floor mat with a very fine weave.  I might have been able to darken the background in post, but I doubt that would have made it look any more natural and I think reducing the contrast between foreground and background would have been a bad idea.

Below is another example of a floral focus stack with an "unnatural" background—in this instance a macro shot of a tiny azalea flower about 3 cm in diameter.  I shot the subject against a black background because I figured that was the best way to bring out the range of colors and textures.




Finally, another orchid, but this one has a natural-looking background.  Again, it was a potted plant but because I was shooting it with a level camera, I was able to position it outside a window with a garden view.  There's just enough detail in the background to give the impression it was made outdoors in a single frame, rather than in a multi-exposure focus stack.




As you can probably guess, I'm still learning how to exploit this technique for close-ups, and feeling my way as I go along.

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Re: The Next Generation
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 10:56:46 pm »

Chris, when I look at your latest pin sharp images, I have mixed thoughts. OTOH, I really like them, especially the second image. They are sharp and well composed. The amazing sharpness has a wow factor, but they also have an ultra-real quality that disturbs me. I tried this technique with mixed results. I decided it was not for me. So what I do is to continue to use the limited depth of field and bokeh of a macro shot as a creative element in my images. So occasionally I use stacking precisely to ensure sharpness only where I want it. I understand why you elected to photograph the first flower with a black background. It is fine, just another kind of way of depicting "the best way to bring out the range of colors and textures." Strikes me as a kind of studio shot portrait that is done rather well.

JR
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up