Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sensor Spots after Cleaning  (Read 4739 times)

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Sensor Spots after Cleaning
« on: September 22, 2006, 03:48:13 am »

Camera: 5D

After cleaning my sensor with pec padds and solution, I can set my wide angle lens at 17mm and f22, take a picture of a pale blue sky, and then open the file and see spots. Not bad, or large, or dark, but always something, no matter how carefull I am cleaning. Is this normal?

Thanks
Logged

LeifG

  • Guest
Sensor Spots after Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 05:03:34 am »

Quote
Camera: 5D

After cleaning my sensor with pec padds and solution, I can set my wide angle lens at 17mm and f22, take a picture of a pale blue sky, and then open the file and see spots. Not bad, or large, or dark, but always something, no matter how carefull I am cleaning. Is this normal?

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77228\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Make sure your lens is clean. Spots on the front and rear elements might be causing spots in the image. I used to see large diffuse blobs, but changing lenses removed them.

Otherwise you should be able to get your sensor clean. You might not be taking enough care to not handle the pecpads (or rather than region that touches the sensor), or maybe you should thoroughly clean the mirror chamber first, then clean the sensor. I bought digipads in case pecpads were not sterile enough. In practice pecpads wrapped round an old digipad work well.

Leif
Logged

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Sensor Spots after Cleaning
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 12:43:09 pm »

It's normal, unless you are in a clean room environment you more than likely will never get it all out.  

Paul c.
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Sensor Spots after Cleaning
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 04:02:39 am »

Quote
It's normal, unless you are in a clean room environment you more than likely will never get it all out. 

Paul c.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77277\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

After cleaning it today It looks worse than before I cleaned it. I'm getting friustrated. I never had this problam with my 20D after cleaning. I've cleaned botht eh front and back of my lenses.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 04:03:32 am by dwdallam »
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Sensor Spots after Cleaning
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 04:04:45 am »

Quote
After cleaning it today It looks worse than before I cleaned it. I'm getting friustrated. I never had this problam with my 20D after cleaning. I've cleaned botht eh front and back of my lenses.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77341\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'd like to get an anti static rag, but what are they and where do I get one?
Logged

61Dynamic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1442
    • http://
Sensor Spots after Cleaning
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 01:25:54 pm »

Quote
It's normal, unless you are in a clean room environment you more than likely will never get it all out. 

Paul c.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No it's not normal. It is very possible to get a spotless sensor if it is cleaned right. Eclipse and Pec*Pads works but it can be difficult to get a perfect cleaning. A better solution is to buy yourself a sensor brush. [a href=\"http://www.copperhillimages.com/index.php?pr=products]Copper Hill sells them[/url] for reasonable prices (unlike a certain competitor...). Follow the directions, and it works every time.
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Sensor Spots after Cleaning
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 03:19:01 am »

Quote
No it's not normal. It is very possible to get a spotless sensor if it is cleaned right. Eclipse and Pec*Pads works but it can be difficult to get a perfect cleaning. A better solution is to buy yourself a sensor brush. Copper Hill sells them for reasonable prices (unlike a certain competitor...). Follow the directions, and it works every time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77491\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use to get near perfect or perfect results on my 20D. Have no idea what the deal is with this thing so far.
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Sensor Spots after Cleaning
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 04:18:24 am »

Quote
I use to get near perfect or perfect results on my 20D. Have no idea what the deal is with this thing so far.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77548\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I actually just looked right now and ony found one very small and very light dust spec in my new photos. I blew the camera out today jsut before leaving, and that seems to have done it.
Logged

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Sensor Spots after Cleaning
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 12:12:03 pm »

To 61dynamic,

I guess we will just agree to disagree.  You will never get it all out, and if you think you are great!.  

You can't even see alot of it unless you have the correct optical equipment.  

I am speaking to dust, I am not sure if that the orginal poster is getting if it's dust or something else.

I guess I gave up getting it all out around 3 years ago with my 1ds.  

Paul C.
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Andrew Larkin

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 85
Sensor Spots after Cleaning
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 05:16:24 pm »

The smaller the aperture you use when making test shots, the clearer and more identifiable the marks on the sensor become.

I made a pinhole lens using this technique: http://www.camerahacker.com/EOS_Pin-Hole_Lens/index.shtml

Using this "lens" it becomes possible to identify very subtle marks on the sensor including fluid residues and drying marks that are invisible even at F32.

Andrew
Logged

61Dynamic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1442
    • http://
Sensor Spots after Cleaning
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 06:07:08 pm »

Quote
To 61dynamic,

I guess we will just agree to disagree.  You will never get it all out, and if you think you are great!. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77621\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I do get all the dust off the sensor. Every time.

You don't need a microscope, micron imaging scope or even Sherlock Holme's magnifying glass to see the dust. As mentioned, simply stopping down the aperture and photographing out of focus a blank wall you can see all troublesome dust in the resulting file.

Back when I cleaned using Pec*Pads and Eclipse fluid, it was a bit of a pain and at times would take a few attempts, but I did get spotless results. Now, I use a nylon brush and it's far easier and quicker to get a spot-free sensor.

If you aren't getting your sensor completely clean, then there is a flaw in your technique.
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Sensor Spots after Cleaning
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 04:16:40 am »

Quote
To 61dynamic,

I guess we will just agree to disagree.  You will never get it all out, and if you think you are great!. 

You can't even see alot of it unless you have the correct optical equipment. 

I am speaking to dust, I am not sure if that the orginal poster is getting if it's dust or something else.

I guess I gave up getting it all out around 3 years ago with my 1ds. 

Paul C.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77621\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're completely right. What I meant was that it is so little that it is practically nonexistant, even at f20. It was really bad.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up